Opinions on Quality surface lures

gardiner

Hey guys.

With some recent success on surface lures due to the hot weather, I may stock up as I lost a few.

Do any of you guys find any particular lures or colors do well for fishing canals for bream, trevally and etc. Preferably no bigger the 55 - 60mm. Also any particular weather suits different colors.

Cheers any help would be appreciated, Harry

Sammy 65's are a winner for canals also I think there's a brand called peril that make a rip off for half the price that swims just as we'll just go lightly on the stock hooks, also the ever faithful r2s bubble pop in 65 will catch most things including bream and as for colour I go for natural colours or clear but I don't think it matters a whole lot.

Cheers

Mark

The good performers for us this year so far have been:

Imakatsu Dilemma Popper (hard to get and not cheap)

Bent minnow 86

Megabass Pop-x

Also dont be scared to up size in this warm weather, we have caught good bream on bigger lures such as Pop-Max and 80mm G-Splash in the last few weeks. With the warm weather they are on the chew and will hit anything.

Sammy 65's are a winner for canals also I think there's a brand called peril that make a rip off for half the price that swims just as we'll just go lightly on the stock hooks, also the ever faithful r2s bubble pop in 65 will catch most things including bream and as for colour I go for natural colours or clear but I don't think it matters a whole lot.

Cheers

Mark

Good advice and just a heads up those knock off Sammys are called prial pencils

i've always gone natural/darkish colours. important thing with surface lures (particularly walk the dogs) is that they impart the desired action from the first twitch, can mean the difference between a fish following it out from the first drop or continuing to follow after a pause.

dog-x and anthrax are usually my first ones to tie on. carter recently introduced me to an r2s bubble pop which was a pretty good popper for bream, tarpon and bass.

I love the Megabass Anthrax and Dog-X but they're not cheap so it hurts a LOT if you lose one. Mind you, you do concentrate more on your casting when you have one tied on.

Others in my top water collection include;

Bushys Top Dog

Zip Bait Poppers (Lg & Sm)

Sammy 65

Duel Popper

Atomic K9 Pups

I like natural prawn and baitfish colours.

Now I feel like a surface session...

Archived