Big Bay Mackerel

Manni79

After having a little bit of success on Tuesday catching a couple school mackerel and with the weather looking good for Wednesday myself, Ted and his boys decided to head back over to Moreton Island to hit em and hopefully get stuck in to a few.

We hit up the usual haunts and the place was teaming with bait, it was low tide and little current was moving but we persisted as there was a lot more bait activity than the previous day so we started cranking slugs from the bottom up in hope of more mackerel.

within an hour or so we started getting some hits and a couple small mackerel were being boated next to us and then I finally get a hit and the line starts peeling off hard and fast. I fight this fella and bring it boat side, a school mackerel around 70 cm’s but as we were getting close to netting it I popped the hooks and he swam away for his freedom.

It was a good sign for early in the morning so we kept fishing the same spot, we landed more grinners than we ever wanted however hooking up to mackerel was pretty difficult.

I found over the last couple days that the mackerel were hitting my lure close to the bottom so I kept using this strategy and one on of my casts I had it sitting on the bottom for a short while as I was day dreaming and then as I start to crank my lure perhaps not even a metre off the bottom I’m on!!! At first it felt small and worked a few metres of line back and then this fish must have realised it was hooked and away it went, drag screaming at full tilt, line peeling off like theres no tomorrow and soon enough i have about a third of my line left.

A good battle is underway however we are unsure of the species, the boys are calling shark, Ted is calling it for maybe a kingy or mac tuna and well I was hoping it was either a big kingy or a mackerel. Either way we kept of fighting this fish and it was a big tug of war, Ted was at the wheel helping me gain some line back or positioning the boat so I can fight the fish clear from the back of the boat and the boys were watching the action unfold.

15 minutes or so had passed and after one more big run down deep, the fish had started to tire and I was making ground slowly bringing it back up from the depths, it’s starts turning in circles and I was thinking tuna but then we finally see colour, OMG !!!! it’s a big f’ing mackerel !!!!!

Everyone on board is now cheering and getting ready to land this beast, Ted & I were pretty worried as I only had 20lb leader so how we got this far was a miracle, the lure was actually pinned in the corner of the mouth but then again it was lodged in its mouth kind like a dog with a bone so the leader was just clear of it’s teeth!!!

Ted has the gaff ready and BAM !! a perfect shot right in the tale, he actually went for the shot whilst the fish was under the surface a fair bit as we didn’t want the fight to go any longer than it needed to. High 5’s all round, a few expletives and more cheers from all on board, We had just landed a 1.22 metre Spanish Mackerel

I was using Stradic 3000, 20lb braid & mono leader, DUO Press Bait 85, Pontoon 21 “Seven and a half†6-12lb rod :)

post-8859-144598900626_thumb.jpg

post-8859-144598900639_thumb.jpg

Once the commotion had settled we went back fishing for schoolies, he had hooked a couple and dropped a couple and the fishing slow down a fair bit.

We worked a few spots and then Jacob was finally on with a nice schoolie around 60cm long, it put a a great fight a needless to say he was a happy little camper.

post-8859-144598900659_thumb.jpg

It was Declan’s turn to catch one, he had thrown a slug a round all day and was a little trooper persisting all day !! finally he cranks his slug and the rod buckles over, line starts peeling off and Declan looked like he was going to fall over board however after about a 30 second run the fish spat the hooks! Most likely was another Mackerel and a big one at that!

We fished a bit more and Declan was rewarded with this little AJ

post-8859-144598900648_thumb.jpg

The heat was getting to us and the slow fishing didn’t help so we headed over to Tanga’s for lunch and a swim which was fantastic, soon after that we made our way home.

Thanks for a great day Ted, Another great day on the water with some good fish and great company it doesn’t get much better than that :)

So far the fishing gods have smiled upon me for 2013 :)

Cheers Manni

Cracker sess man

You guys did well.

It was good seeing you guys there.

We got a few just unders. we barely stay connected to them. I lost a fair few slugs too.

Haha that jelly fish, i nearly ran it over i thought it was a turtle lol.

The mackerel arnt on fully yet. Few weeks i reckon itl be good.

There was too much boat traffic for my liking and too.

After work weekday trips are me now on. It doesnt take me too long to get there now lol ;)

Shane

Ps get me a few of them lures lol

Thanks for coming out again Manni. Was a great day. Fishing the beacons is a very testing place with to many boats and people not taking their turn. I reckon you right Shane the weekdays would be best.

Some ripper fish in the last week have graced the walrus. Now all he needs now are his tusks and I can go chase the marlin and hoo that we heard about all day on the radio.

Looking forward to eating the makeral tonight.

Ted

Lance it certainly is more fun and definitely rewarded with a better feed :) it's not helping my cause though in wanting to keep my boat, definitely need an upgrade

Shane i'll be doing some week day trips over the coming weeks to avoid boat traffic too. There was some pretty poor form from other boaties out there.

Some fishing etiquette:

1. You don't own a beacon, there is plenty of room to fish in and around it

2. Don't tie your boat off on the Beacon - i'm pretty sure it's illegal and just plain selfish and possibly dangerous with some of the wake created by the big ships!

3. Don't anchor up over peoples drifts even when way off the beacons because people are hooking on to fish

4. Don't go out of your way to ruin other peoples drifts because you feel this beacon is yours

I swear some fishos think they are the first person in QLD to work out there are fish hanging off the beacons and feel it's their right to fish it exclusively

We had seven boats on one beacon, a few boaties were fine just working what available space there was and drifting around as most were, yet some boats just come right in to try and anchor up or stay in real close.

In reality all my fish over the 2 days were caught well off the Beacons and probably for the reason the fish moved off them because of the traffic lol

The good thing about your boat too Shane is that if the weather is rough you can get out there easy and will keep many other boats away ;)

I had the same rant last year until i realised go out on days and weather no one does and you have no problems.

Haha you should see palmy on a calm day. You would love it.

I was hoping that wind change came earlier. Would have loved too see all the tinnys go back in 20 knots.

Same as us manny the mackerel always came away from beacon.

Haha yeah the boat loves chop. Once i get clears no more getting spray over side.

Wish i went offshore though.

Manni, you are on FIRE at the moment!!! Well done on a cracking Spaniard! Good to see the shoulder is coming along Ted, also good to see your boys consistently outfishing you :P

Cheers,

Ryan.

Haha yeah they do but I am happy with that. Just happy to see good fish coming over the side of the boat.

Shoulder is pretty good now. I only have about 50% movement, and 30% strength at present but a lot of the pain has subsided. It is a long way back but at least it will not stop me doing to much now.

Cracking Mackeral Manni!

Thats a top catch on the gear you were using. I caught a 1.1m spaniard on a charter in the Whitsundays and it faught hard on 80lb braid and 100lb leader!

cheers

Justin

Justin I was super stoked, I just needed to be patient and Ted moved us away from the other boats so we had no real issues other than just tiring the fish out but it fought very hard, the bend in that light rod was a site to see.

Nice Fish there Mannie, and well done on the great start to 2013, I've had a few massive runs and bust offs on light gear around peel and suspect it to be macs, just wish I had the luck on my side you've got at the moment... You should buy a lottery ticket, congrats mate

Awesome fish Manni, especially on 20lb leader!!!! Think I saw you guys coming past the north of Mud about 1pm? I was in close on the NW side.

Cheers mate. Can't wait to get out again for another crack!!

We headed back across the bay around 4ish

You would have gotten to the beacons easy in the morning but the ride home late in the arvo was very rough and messy from mud back to brissy.

I was glad it wasn't my tub we were in then lol

Awesome fish Manni, especially on 20lb leader!!!! Think I saw you guys coming past the north of Mud about 1pm? I was in close on the NW side.

Cheers mate. Can't wait to get out again for another crack!!

We headed back across the bay around 4ish

You would have gotten to the beacons easy in the morning but the ride home late in the arvo was very rough and messy from mud back to brissy.

I was glad it wasn't my tub we were in then lol

Righto wasn't you guys then. Boat was a couple of hundred metres away so I'm glad I didn't wave it down, might have been embarassing!!!!

Yeah it got sloppy as the day went on and there was some decent swell (given the area) coming back from Mud towards the River mouth - had to concentrate.

I'd love to do an overnighter there one day when the weather and diary gods align!!!!

Archived