Spend my Hard earned money for me :)

ONTHECHEW

Since I am 3/4 of the way through my Toowoomba stint it is time to start looking for my reward for being away from the bay. It has been agreed by the minister for finance that when we get back I can upgrade the trusty gale force.

At the moment I am looking at importing a boat from the US as you get much more for your money, but I am open to suggestions. Currently looking at a Seaswirl Striper 2601, this is a fibreglass walk around, 7.8m and a 606l fuel tank :woohoo: .

What I am looking for:

Length 7-8m

Large fuel capacity (want to start trolling more and some long distance trips)

V berth sleeping (I need to fit 6ft)

Walk around cabin (so I can still pop off the front)

High sides (kid friendly)

Would prefer fibreglass but any suggestions on plate boats are welcome.

Great offshore boat, but also kid friendly

Does not need to be new, but prefer to be less than 5 year old

Not necessarily after particular boats that are for sale at the moment but, brand, size, model, pros and cons etc would be greatly appreciated. Help spend some one else's money :whistle:

Andrew

What you planning to take your own charter to christmas island with that size boat and fuel lol.

My mate just bought a seaswirl stripper centercab. Dont know what model but its about 5.8 with 115 yammy at the back. Very nice boat.

Hopefully take that off straddie to pop out off now.

Its perfect for 2 people.

Get a big plate boat. You dont have to look after them too much lol.

Shane

I am not quite there yet but also looking at import boats. From what I can tell is there ire very few boats in that size range that have a oz road legal beam. The only walkarounds I am aware of are trophy and Grady white seafarer.

Having to get an annual oversize permit and mucking around with flags and flashing lights seems like a pain in the butt. Probably not the best for resale either. You are also restricted where and when you can tow.

Starting to see a fair few Stripers and Seafoxs etc on the water so the extra beam can't be too much of an issue, pretty sure I heard there was a way you can get around it, but will research it more before going ahead. Something like that info is great, just after any suggestions from anyone on any boat that fits into that criteria even with pros and cons would help out heaps.

Andrew

I am not quite there yet but also looking at import boats. From what I can tell is there ire very few boats in that size range that have a oz road legal beam. The only walkarounds I am aware of are trophy and Grady white seafarer.

Having to get an annual oversize permit and mucking around with flags and flashing lights seems like a pain in the butt. Probably not the best for resale either. You are also restricted where and when you can tow.

My mate has a 2000 model 2100 (6.4m??) Striper with 175hp HPDI and the ride is just outstanding.

I'd love to fish off a bigger one as I prefer casting (popping / spinning for tuna) than trolling or bottom bashing.

I find the Cabin takes up too much space and leaves fishing space lacking at the back.. But as you're looking at a boat over a metre longer, I think many of these issues will be spoken for.

I love the thing though. I think I'm just expecting too much.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-Seaswirl-2601-Striper--Limited-Edition-340155

This pretty much ticks all of the boxes, but is about 3 months too early :( At least I know they are out there. Any suggestions would be great guys, the next boat I buy has to do me for quiet a few years so need to get one that suits the needs and of course the budget..

Andrew

Starting to see a fair few Stripers and Seafoxs etc on the water so the extra beam can't be too much of an issue, pretty sure I heard there was a way you can get around it, but will research it more before going ahead. Something like that info is great, just after any suggestions from anyone on any boat that fits into that criteria even with pros and cons would help out heaps.

Andrew

The striper you posted looks nice any idea what motors are on it?

There is a good chance that most of the over beam boats you are seeing on the water live on hard stands or are people that live canal front. Also just because a lot of people are trailering them doesn't mean they are doing it legally. Would hate to think of the insurance implications of doing it illegally I.e. no permit, outside of hours, no flags etc.

Although they are a pain the oversize rules are easy enough to comply with but there is always the risk they change the rules next year. Qld transport only issue annual permits and there is a disclaimer stating there is no guarantee that the scheme will be continued.

Archived