So many idiots on the water

tomca

I avoid fishing popular spots on weekends as I fear I may stab some Tuckfard sooner or later. I fished Palmy this morning, only 15 boats out there parked in a little ring. A couple of other yakkers were trolling around some of the berley trails thoughtfully put out by the boats.

On my paddle out this big plate boat has a spread out trolling for marlin to my north. Next thing he turns and heads across just in front of me. Knowing how ignorant some people can be I stopped and waited for his lines (some 200m) out the back to pass me. The 3 guys in the boat are yahooing and drinking beer having a grand old time. The skipper gets about 60m past me and turns hard right and I have braid coming straight at me from the shallow lures. The other 2 passed under the yak. My scissors hang on a lanyard around my neck and managed to cut both lines before getting sliced up and scored 2 new lures in the process :woohoo: The clueless sportfishers trolled on without even noticing.

Out on the reef itself i was about 100m from the nearest boat when I saw a bust up and cast in front of it with a slug and so did another yakker. We both came up tight on fish and started fighting them. The guy in the boat stands up and with no wind could clearly be heard going off his nut about these f-ing kayaks always stealing his fish, and how he is going to run us over. WTF? We were at least 50m from his balloon and the fish were hooked going the other way anyway.

After a couple of fish I head to a shallow bit of rubbly bottom north of Currumbin Creek and pull a couple of reefies quickly and within minutes 2 boats with 2 stroke motors going full pelt fly in and park right on top of the structure and drop anchors. Incredibly the fish went off the bite.\

I go out wide and a marlin jumps in front of me some 60m away and out of nowhere a jetski flies past me so close I nearly whacked him with my rod on the cast.

You get absolute tools on estuaries, special (not in a good way) people who ski on impoundments, but offshore cowboys are the most dangerous and thoughtless on the water, and the worst part is their boats are generally bigger to cause more carnage.

Anyway rant over. Was really nice conditions all morning, and the Palmy surf smacked me good on the way out, but somehow managed to stay in the saddle. Really small breakers, until I committed then a 4 footer stood up and bit chslapped me good as I punched through it.

post-1039-14459891192_thumb.jpg

....We both came up tight on fish and started fighting them. The guy in the boat stands up and with no wind could clearly be heard going off his nut about these f-ing kayaks always stealing his fish, and how he is going to run us over. WTF? We were at least 50m from his balloon and the fish were hooked going the other way anyway...

some boat fishos` can be very possessive of their berley trails.. :lol:

Tomca,

Don't take it as a personal attach on a yak fisher, the rednecks on Palmy treat other boaties the same way. Was some nice weather this morning - too bad you didn't get any keepers. There have been a few around but they have been coming on later into morning.

Marty

• 3 weeks later...

Reminds me when I had my prowler13 and took it out along the pipeline at Pinkenba reguarly.

1 morning I was just happily paddling along when this tool came speeding up to check his pots laid out in front of the pipeline while I was trolling for threaddies when after he checked his pots, he saw me.

Then he decided it was in his best interest to harrass me but doing 360 circles around me full throttle to try and tip me before speeding off back down the river.

As pissed as I was I has able to turn the yak to avoid washing out :)

I got him back though, after he was gone I checked his floats, alough and behold, no tags, sweet I thought, quick call to fisshy dept and those pots were taken care of :evil:

Archived