Super trwaler is back, but with a different badge

muzz

Can not really see an issue with this. I reckon they will be fishing areas that have not been in range before for the local guys. I reckon they would act as a base station for the local boats and supply refrigeration for the catch and supply fuel and fuel so the boats can stay out there. A winfall for the local operators.

Good to see. The mind boggles at what the 'groups' will come up with not to have it here with those arrangements. I can't see what damage a floating freezer could possibly do but no doubt there will be some imaginative qualms.

The main one floating around is one quoted in the article where they are saying its just a ploy to keep the boat in Australian Waters.

I think its more of a fact that seafish are trying to do something with the boat as they have already invested the money to bring it here and are trying to recoup some losses.

I would see this as being a bad thing.

The environmental impact on having this as a mother ship enabling the trawlers, longliners and fishing vessels to stay in the one location for a prolonged period would be huge. Potentially wiping out an area before they moved on to the next.

I guess your right in saying that seafish need to get some coin back from their ill fated investment.

The environmental impact on having this as a mother ship enabling the trawlers, longliners and fishing vessels to stay in the one location for a prolonged period would be huge. Potentially wiping out an area before they moved on to the next.

I guess your right in saying that seafish need to get some coin back from their ill fated investment.

These Local guys are limited to their catch quotas the same as usual. I am not sure if this applies to the long liners as the article stated different species.

Ellicat is right with pointing out there is no mention of quotas in the article. I would like to know if there has been an increase in quotas to support this freezer operation? If there has been no increase in quotas and the freezer ship is really only purchasing fish from local boats on their existing quotas then I see no problem at first glance.

If all these smaller boats have had big increases in their quotas, or if this super freezer is planning on running their own trawler fleet then I don't like it.

Personally I am dead against super trawlers. These things have left nothing but ruin everywhere they have operated.

These Local guys are limited to their catch quotas the same as usual. I am not sure if this applies to the long liners as the article stated different species.

Once something like this is in place it will become difficult for it to be removed. Also with this in place it will be easier for advocates to lobby for increased limits, because they have the infrastructure in place to handle the demand.

longliners are on a limited quota as well and can vary from boat to boat and same with by-catch the boat i was on was allowed to keep yellow fin blue fin big eye and black tuna aka ruda mack tuna also mahi mahi sword fish black snapper and shark but different boats have different rules to follow i would say they wont increase quota limits. as boats apply for bigger quotas all year every year and get knocked back. there is alot of research ect put into allocating quotas for different species and they are very strict on them also. the floating freezer would benefit the smaller fleets in my opinion

• 3 months later...

Taken from Fishing World email newsletter 29-4-13

Burke Blocks Super Trawler Again

29 Apr 2013

FEDERAL Environment Minister Tony Burke had made a final declaration stopping large capacity commercial fishing vessels from operating in the area of the Small Pelagic Fishery for two years.

The declaration will prevent the super trawler - the Abel Tasman, formally named the FV Margiris- from operating as a freezing and processing vessel of fish supplied by other vessels in the Small Pelagic Fishery following a second proposal by Seafish Tasmania.

Mr Burke said his decision taken in consultation with Federal Fisheries Minister, Senator Joe Ludwig, stops vessels with a storage capacity of 1600 tonnes or greater from conducting mid-water trawl activities or operating as a 'mother-ship' that receives or processes fish or fish products in the area of the Small Pelagic Fishery.

This commercial fishing activity will be banned for 24 months while an expert panel undertakes an assessment.

Last year the Government stopped the super trawler from operating in the Small Pelagic Fishery for up to two years to enable an independent assessment of the environmental impacts, particularly on species protected by Australia's national environment law.

"The government takes a highly cautious view when it comes to protecting the ocean. We take ocean protection seriously," Mr Burke said.

"We have acted to protect our precious oceans by creating the world's largest network of marine parks, stopping the super trawler and putting the Ningaloo Reef on the World Heritage List.

"This final declaration made today confirms the exclusion of these commercial fishing activities while an independent expert panel undertakes a scientific assessment of their environmental impacts. I have worked closely with Minister Ludwig in making this decision.

"Decisions about commercial fishing activities must be underpinned by robust science.

"The next step is to establish an independent expert panel to conduct an assessment of the declared commercial fishing activities and report on the matter."

So reading that, if Seafish Tasmania can come up with a factory ship with a storage capacity 1550kgs, they would be with-in the ‘now’ present laws to work the SPF.

If Seafish Tasmania does`t want to risk fighting more laws being introduced, they can sit back and wait for the change of Federal Government in September, and I`m fairly certain the new Federal Government would look favourably on a new ‘commercial enterprise’

Archived