Cast net/ drag net help

nick01077

Hey guys, I got an 8 foot nylon cast net from bcf. I used it a heap of times an found that I'm only getting decent circles every 1 in 10 casts, usually it lands in the water in a messy tangle and I find it to be really heavy and tiring after a while. I've watched video after video and practiced a heap and find the first couple casts are okay but then it just tangles after that...

It does have one small tear at the bottom from when I was snagged, so maybe that's affecting my circles?

Any tips on what should I do? Would i get better circles in a mono net? Or even grab a drag net?

It sounds like you are not getting a good spread. There are a few different ways to throw a cast net, for me I take up the excess net to about where the "boys" are. Then I take the bottom up and place between thumb and forefinger. Then take about half of the remaining net from the other side. With this technique the main reason why the net does not open properly is if you don't follow through, that is not getting the arc sufficient to open the net completely.

Other things to consider are to soak the net in Fabric softener overnight this might loosen up the mono a bit.

Secondly when you have then net at your feet is the bottom leads tangled, or when you are looping up the mesh make sure it remains untwisted, don't twist it like you are wringing out a chamois.

In all it will take a bit of practice, don't be too hard on yourself if every third or fourth one looks like a quarter moon, troubleshoot your technique a bit and you will never look back.

Cheers Tony

the tear in the bottom will be making it heaps harder to get a good spread, I've found as a net deteriorates it goes from easy smooth circles to eventually like trying to throw a wet hessian sack and get it to spread out.

Suggest trying to do short distance throws so it spreads out at your feet, or even really long throws at the full extension of the line. If its landing in a messy tangle sounds like you might not be looping the line neatly before throwing, and its getting snarled. I reckon over the shoulder and pivoting your body method is easier than bunched up in your hands method.

The ripped net will affect your throw for sure. Here's some pointers for next time.

- Make sure there are no twists and that everything sits flat and folded, think about how the circle forms and work backwards from there.

- BCF nets are probably woven on a machine and will have a tendency to close too early. Hand made nets tend to 'spring' open a lot more.

- 8 ft. net is probably harder to throw than a 10 ft. I prefer a 12 ft.

- Technique, there are various ways to throw. I will throw 3 different ways depending on where I throw from. High from a jelly, from a boat, from land, for prawns, etc.

- Practice in the back yard.

Come out to a social or an event if you get the chance, I will have you throwing a 12 ft. with sufficient spread in 5 minutes.

Cheers

Eug

BCF nets are cheap.the material is thinner than custom made monofilament nets. bcf nets get puffy to the point where its difficult to place your hand over the net when gathering. the nets tear easier. they are too light. The handline often comes off. The braille lines start to perish.....

You won't realise the massive differnces until you hava custom made monofilament net.

Did you rip the heavy lead line or just a bit of the net? If you ripped the lead line it will definitely affect it, once you see the right way it will come easy,

Do you live her redcliffe? If so go down to woody point jetty and watch the raincoats or Samoans throw it, and ask for a tip! Little bit different from a jetty but you'll get the drift

Ive managed to buy a castnet custome made by a person on the southside of Brisbane and it works brilliantly. I had bought a net from BCF and a Surecatch net and they were rubbish.

The custom made net has stronger panels, opens wider, they are not as springy and dont crunch up as compared to the BCF and Surecatch nets.

Net I'm using has heavier chain so I can get down the bottom quicker before the prawns spook.

Chewbacoo

Eug,

Nah, not really, all that freshwater from the floods had made things difficult, they are on que, prawns would have went into saltier water then returned to its salty and cleaner state.

They will be still around to probably June but very little by then.

Northside of Brisbane might not be thick as yet but will be shortly.

Chewbacoo

Thanks so much for the help guys! At the start of the week I went out and practised on my lawn and figured out that a) untangling the sinkers B) make sure the net is not twisted and c) group the sinkers the other way. all of this helped and now I'm getting almost full circles every time! There's no tangles or knots! I went to to a spot near where I live in the centenary suburbs and caught a flathead! Who would of thought?! :woohoo: Yesterday I went to pinkenba and caught heaps of mullet, herring and a fish called Glassy's? Is that right? :huh:

Anyways also thanks for the berley tip I found that bread an a bit of pilchard really made a difference! I had schools swarming around the berley. Also caught a few prawns but they were incredibly small so hopefully bigger ones come soon so I can catch my first thready :S

Thanks again boys, as usual the help has been plentiful!

G'day nick01077,

Good to hear, you need to cast a few times in succession (without rest breaks) to see if the net holds true i.e. does not kink up or twist the leadline. When the prawns are on, one will be competing against others to catch them. Could be up to 60 boats or more in the vicinity, if the leadline of the net makes tangles then success rate will be low.

Seems like you had a good time with your net. Hard to say if the fish is a glassy unless you uploaded a picture of it.

Tight lines, Chewbacoo

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived