What do you recommend, boat or kayak

sari96

So I've just sold my motorbike and kayak, now ending me up with $2800. My dad recons I should get a tinny, which there are no cheap tinnys packages for the amount I have. And I am wondering if I should get a better kayak like a hobie. I'm wanting to fish inshore reefs and canal systems and here and there fish islands like peel. Could anyone recommend or give me any info on how I should approach this. All I want is a good fishing vessel that won't be costing me all the time and that I can fish confotably in. Cheers

I'd say get a kayak, less ongoing maintenance costs.

If you can only just afford the tinny, what happens when things go wrong? (not if, when). Will the boat just sit there collecting dust until you can afford parts etc or do you work enough to be able to keep it well maintained?

Boat = bring out another thousand :P

If you can barely afford a tinny, you won't be able to afford the fuel in the car to drag it to the ramp, rego, outboard service, trailer maintenence or insurance.

Get a bigger yak than the one you had and you can pop the wheels in and drag it to the water behind a bicycle and Peel is very do-able from most good yaks, prowler, stealth, hobie, etc.

And pay a few dollars and walk on the ferry to Straddie and Peel is just a stones throw away from Dunwich. But you get good fishing at Cleveland, Wello, Birkdale and Coochie.

Get a decent yak, relatively cheaper then a tinny, you can pretty much do as much if not more in them. No on going costs (fuel, regos, service, up keep)

A lot healthier for you too.

Boat; a hole in top of the water into which money is thrown.

Get on Gumtree mate, there's plenty of little tinnies for that price.

But like others have said, you really need to sit back and work how much the extra costs will be. It's different for everyone as everyone uses their boats in different ways. If you look after a little tinnie it shouldn't cost you too much but it's always best to have an idea before you jump into anything.

Good luck with it either way mate.

Mate my tinny has taken the backseat since buying a kayak a few months ago. I recon I have used my kayak 10 times and my tinny once in that time. A cheap tinny will cause you more money on maintenance than its worth, whereas a good kayak will bring heaps of enjoyment mate, good excercise and enhances the joy factor times 10 i recon

I think the simple question is which one will you use the most?

Taking a tinny out has advantages depending on what you like fishing for and so does the kayak.

I have Kayak and tinny and the kayak is getting way more use because in 15 minutes I'm fishing for bass and can do a short session in 2 hrs and no wash down time when I get back. This means I can steal a couple of hours away from the family without to much impact and do it more frequently. However with the tinny though I want to go for the whole day or I don't feel it worth the trouble. I love both but if I had to pick one it the one I use the most.

Each person situation is different so go with what suit your the best and enjoy.

If you can afford a motorbike, then you can afford a boat! This statement is only true if you are not wanting to decrease your expenditure .

Best advice I can give is have a good look around, there is a new sponsor that is promoting a special on Kayak's have a chat to him as well as other member's that own them. They are very capable and viable fishing options.

As far as a boat goes, again check out the market and then factor in costs such as annual service, fuel and boat/trailer rego (if both are applicable). The member's grandfather who is selling his boat is his pride and joy, go and have a look and he may want it to go to a good home at a reduced price.

Best of luck and keep us in the loop.

Archived