Always take a rod !!!!!

Bri The Pom

Spent a few hours this morning trying to set the height of my transducer so I don't loose the picture at 9 knots, with out success. Driving on and off the trailer got a bit boring. I took one of my rods and a few plastics so i decided to have a quick flick before i head home, went to a spot just off sraddie and after my fourth cast hook this nice flattie. Plastic was a Zman in opening night. So as i said whenever you go out,always take a rod.

post-662-144598949938_thumb.jpg

post-662-144598949948_thumb.jpg

It is more than likely the angle of the transducer causing the problem.

Drop the tranny right down as far as it will go and start adjusting the angle.

Once you get a good picture to hold the bottom at all speeds then start to raise it until just before the picture starts to break up again.

If that doesn't work,you are getting dirty water from the hull.

Pays to be prepared aye Bri?

Get one of those sliding transducer brackets... costs about $30-40 and makes getting the height pretty easy.

I have put one of those brackets on Eug, marked it in 5mm increments,tested and filmed every one and still lost bottom at roughly 9 knots. Too low and had a rooster tail of the back. May look at the angle or position next.

It is more than likely the angle of the transducer causing the problem.

Drop the tranny right down as far as it will go and start adjusting the angle.

Once you get a good picture to hold the bottom at all speeds then start to raise it until just before the picture starts to break up again.

If that doesn't work,you are getting dirty water from the hull.

I have the same problem with my sounder but assumed it was just because I have an 'el cheapo' unit. I have to slow RIGHT DOWN to get a reading. Sounds like I might have to stop being a lazy defeatist and play around with it a bit.

BTW nice flatty Bri!! YAWN - Bri got another HUGE flatty!!!!! Give me ANOTHER bass report any day .......... :P:P:P

good advice there lance.

out of interest what's the sounder/transducer set up? mine is a humminbird side imaging and it has a fairly wide transducer. was a nightmare to set up.

It's a Lowrance HDS 5 with an airmar p66 tranny.

looks like a pretty streamline tranny. good luck with it.

Hey guys...i couldn't believe the difference it made to do all the fine tuning with entering model numbers of transducers and Keel offset and the like with my HDS-8 setup.

Everything else was reading ok, but reading at any sort of speed was a bit of an issue, since doing my fine tuning with actually nominating the model number of my transducer in the setup menu i can get bottom at any speed now

Bri- Is the tranny submerged still when you go over 9knots? (mite be a little tricky to tell when your on your own) Not sure what sort of boat you have but with my tinny I cant get any decent reading over 10-15knots (when im on the plane) as my transducer comes out of the water.

Cracker flatty too!

I must have fluked mine when I put the new 1 on as the first run it was perfect at any speed and yes always take a rod and bait out, nice flatty Bri have you had a crack latelt at any of those spanairds down your way they are out there

Hey guys...i couldn't believe the difference it made to do all the fine tuning with entering model numbers of transducers and Keel offset and the like with my HDS-8 setup.

Everything else was reading ok, but reading at any sort of speed was a bit of an issue, since doing my fine tuning with actually nominating the model number of my transducer in the setup menu i can get bottom at any speed now

Hey Stu, I have selected the correct tranny in the list'but not keel offset or anything else, Would that make a big difference.I may try it nextime.

Archived