choosing either Lowrance Elite 5x vs 5x DSI, HELP :)

tekung

Hi guys, went out yesterday offshore and found that the sounder that came with the boat doesnt like reading at rocky conditions/deep water.

looking at purchasing a new sounder with a budget of under $400.

I came down to the decision of either the lowrance elite 5x or the 5x DSI model, i fish usually offshore and in the bay quite abit and was wondering which one is more user friendly. i have heard identifying structure is easier on the DSI but identifying fish maybe hard for the novice like me :whistle:

the elite 5X is around $500 but is on sale atm for $350, and the 5x DSI is $350 also. I would have thought the DSI would have cost more due to its deep scan feature :huh:

any input would be great, would like to make a definite decision within the next week or so :)

thank guys

Tim

Elite 5X

elite-5xr_lg.jpg

Elite 5X DSI

elite-5xdsil_lg.jpg

thanks guys,

the DSI model is the non-gps/charter plot version and its listed for $350 at bcf

/>http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Lowrance-Elite5X-DSI-Fish-Finder.aspx?pid=286559#Cross

I am using my navman 6600 tracker i have onboard atm just for gps/charter plotting and the new sonar will be used as a fishfinder/structure scanner

Hey Tim

This question has raised it's head a few times recently. I use an elite 5x DSI and find it excellent for identifying structure. You can make out fish on the unit but for this I do prefer using my old lowrance unit which I have running alongside the new unit.

If you want offshore Tim get a Fureno 620. You can pick up good second hand one for around $500.

They are better than lowrance units for offshore in my opinion.

What sounder have you got thet cant pick up. My humminbird 585 in old cc used to pick up 80m.

Shane

Its a navman 5500 tracker. i dunno it only works in waters of like 10meter, somethings obviously not right :lol: all other times its just a blank screen. only thing that works on that is the gps

i'll have a look at the furuno

If you want offshore Tim get a Fureno 620. You can pick up good

second hand one for around $500.

They are better than lowrance units for offshore in my opinion.

What sounder have you got thet cant pick up. My humminbird 585 in old cc used to pick up 80m.

Shane

I own an Elite 5x DSI and it is an awesome piece of kit... in the river! Offshore however, it's well "out of it's depth"!

Doesn't give a good bottom reading, even when you're not moving. I'd stick to a standard "sonar" unit for offshore. HDS5x units can be purchased pretty cheap second hand, especially for the old model.

Hi Tim, I would be sticking with the Elite 5x unless you specifically want a dsi unit. The single dsi units are very good but most peeps buy one and then don't really know how to use them correctly, and they miss the other features that they have become use to.

My advice is to work out exactly what you want to use it for and talk to someone about those exact options and scenarios.

Have a chat to Glen at northside marine he willanswer all your questions,free.

I see Dino has already beaten me to this advice, but Glen is right across the range and knows his stuff and I would suggest starting there.

Hope things work out and you get a great deal.

Al

Here are a couple of screen shots of a school of bass at NPD today.

post-230-144598971382_thumb.jpg

This is what the humminbird sees. Disregard the barometer reading as the battery is flat in the weathersense,

post-230-144598971389_thumb.jpg

Lowrance/

post-230-144598971398_thumb.jpg

I have not altered any of the factory settings just plugged it in and turned it on.Only using the humminbird for the gps and speed.

This is what the sounders were seeing.

post-230-144598971402_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ray

post-230-144598971394_thumb.jpg

Archived