Moreton Bay PB Jewie

nabs

Hey all,

Well it had been a long time since I fished the bay.. bit unusual for me so was keen to get out with the good weather on Sunday morning. Im not normally a fan of fishing the bay on sundays due to the extra boat traffic but thought we would give it a crack anyway. My last session in the bay was on Anzac day and resulted in my PB jew of 85cm.

Anyway after a late Saturday night spent putting on new trailer lights we were on the water at 5:30, a bit later than I would have liked but still early enough.

Started off finding a really good show on the sounder and marked the fish and moved up to do a drift over the school.. But within a minute of that another boat moved right on top of the school and dropped anchor :blink: The joys of fishing Sundays...

Made a few spot changes and still found it tough, decided to head to an area I usually fish and there seemed to be less boats there so thought it would be worth a crack. Bit of sounding around and we found some awesome shows. My mate hooked up first with a snap in the low 40s..

But, by the time we got a few pics, there was boats already driving in towards us :sick:

We found the fish were moving around a fair bit and by using the side scan on the sounder we were able to find them and try keep near them. A few drifts ontop of them and I was on to a nice Jew going 75cm.

post-107-144598991927_thumb.jpg

post-107-144598991935_thumb.png

Big school of jewies to the left of us

Went a bit quiet for a while as we had lost the school so we drove around a bit untill we found them again. This time they were sitting just next to an anchored boat :whistle: So we did a couple of drifts past the boat (keeping our distance) and straight away I hooked up only to lose the fish :pinch:

post-107-14459899195_thumb.png

The fish on the right side near another anchored boat.

post-107-144598991964_thumb.png

When we were ontop of them.

Next drift lined up perfectly and just as we got ontop of the school I felt weight and was on. The fish played it slow and slugged it out deep for quite a while. Big head shakes and long runs, made for some tense moments on 10lb but eventually got it in!

Went 94cm and is a new PB. I was stoked to get it in!

post-107-144598991976_thumb.jpg

post-107-144598991981_thumb.jpg

post-107-144598991985_thumb.jpg

post-107-144598991989_thumb.jpg

After taking a few pics and moving back up, the wind had well and truly picked up and we decided to leave the fish and head home before it got worse. (Bumpy ride in my little tinny)

All the fish were caught on a mix of Zman curly tailz and minnowz with 3/8 TT jigheads and the new Nordic Stage Favourite rod which is due to hit the shelves soon!

All in all was a great morning out. Happy that we were able to get into a few, even though the boat traffic was full on. Hopefully next sesh the snaps play the game!

goes to show how invaluable a good sounder is but more importantly you know how to read the thing!!!

I wouldn't have guessed that that was a school of Jew fish!

I might have to get some pointers from you Nabs as the boat that I am getting has a Lowrance HDS 10 with side, down scanning.

Awesome report well done!

Batman, just sing out when you get the new boat and I'll be happy to help you with it.

Takes a bit of practise to get the hang of the units and understand whats going on, but once you get it, it can make a huge difference to your fishing!

The reason I knew it was a school of jew was because I have seen other screen shots that looked very similar and were Jew. So the moment I saw it, my eyes lit up!

Wayne- Hopefully if I hook a metery I will have the 20lb rod in hand and not the 10lb!

Cheers

Archived