Evinrude Outboard Engine Problems

sprintcardude

G'Day Everyone,

Today i went out with my father to try and get out and have a fish. When we fueled the boat up the servo didn't have premium so we were forced to put in unleaded 95 in thinking we shouldn't have a problem. oiled up and went to boat ramp. Boat got out of the harbour fine, but once we started cruizing towards to spot the engine slowly started to slow down, engine sounded like it was bogging down. when we tryed to max out engine it just stopped. turned around and put boat on trailer. Went to super cheap auto and tryed new spark plugs. Went out again with little change. it got up and went then mayby 1 minute later bogging down again.

Note- Engine is a evinrude 70hp, 1983.

- We suspect that the fuel had a large influence to the bogging down or the plugs are stuffed.

- The engine starts first time everytime and can trottle along at 10km/h but when speed increases engine boggs down.

I am just Curios to see what you fellow afo'ers have to say to my problem so please help me out

Cheers Justin

Is it a 2 or 4 stroke? Are you manually mixing the oil? Perhaps the mix is too rich and is fouling up the plugs?

I'd recommend putting the petrol from your boat into your wifes/partners car :P and adding fresh fuel from a different servo to the boat and seeing how it runs.

Air lock in the tank.... Make sure breather is open?

I had that problem two weeks ago at DI.

We were 50ks out n it started to choke and died up.. I thought we ran out of fiel in first tank.

Ran other tank and it was fine.

Came hone blew the breathers out and used tank 1 again yesterday and it ran fine all way to to 100l till empty.

Is it a 2 or 4 stroke? Are you manually mixing the oil? Perhaps the mix is too rich and is fouling up the plugs?

I'd recommend putting the petrol from your boat into your wifes/partners car :P and adding fresh fuel from a different servo to the boat and seeing how it runs.

The motor is 2 stroke. and i maunally mix the fuel and oil

+1 for breather. had a similar experience out in the bay, nearly got hit by a container ship because every-time we popped it into gear she would die. get it running and accelerate, youll see the fuel bulb start to squish down, and the sides of the primer bulb towards the middle get sucked together if the breather isnt working (because its trying to breath but bcause the breather is full it will suck the air out of the bulb) and that will be your diagnosis. hope that makes sense?

-Wiseguy.

Archived