More Moreton Bay Fun

nabs

Hey all,

Been out a few more times since the last report. Haven't had the same success (Doubt it will happen again) but have been having some good sessions still getting some decent fish.

Went out Tuesday morning, weather was looking perfect so couldn't pass up the opportunity. Was fishing solo this time, asked a heap of people but everyone had this thing called "Work" :blush:

Started the morning fairly slow, spent 30min sounding around a few different spots with nothing showing up. So decided to just do a few drifts of the usual haunt and then see if much showed up after the sun was up. Didn't take long before a low 40s snap was in the boat, followed by a jew around 70cm. (Smallest one so far)

Went to do another drift and noticed the Jew had started to move in. Small schools were showing up on the side scan. Marked them and got into position and was on straight away to a nice fish only to pull hooks on it. Got back ontop of the school and again hooked up. Gave a good account for itself on baitcast gear and went a bit over 80cm. (Excuse the dodgy pics, first time using the timer on the camera and it was a bit of a fail :unsure: )

post-107-144598999731_thumb.jpg

post-107-144598999958_thumb.jpg

post-107-144599000006_thumb.jpg

Had to motor around a bit to find them but once I found the school it was almost an instant hook up. Except there was one problem.. the sharks found them too :( Every Jew I hooked from here on in got sharked. Also hooked the biggest jew I have from this spot so far, to fight it almost all the way to the boat before it got sharked!

After 4 sharkings I gave up on trying to land one. The moment I hooked a jew, this would happen-

post-107-144598999774_thumb.png

Screen shot showing a heap of sharks under the boat. They would all come in once I hooked a jew.

post-107-144598999767_thumb.jpg

Zoomed right in, you can actually see the fins!

Decided to make a move to another spot, hoping there would be no more sharks. Did a bit of sounding around before I found a big school of fish. Got into position and hooked up not long after, the moment I hooked it I knew it was a good fish, screamed off! I cranked up the drag to get this one in as fast as possible, knowing there could be sharks around here too. Fortunately I got this one in and turned out to be a cracker snapper! Going just on 70cm! New PB for me!

post-107-144598999752_thumb.jpg

post-107-144598999801_thumb.jpg

Caught on a Motor oil Zman Curly Tailz.

After this it went quiet, it had glassed out too.

post-107-144598999759_thumb.jpg

Had one more bit of excitement/devastation. I hooked up to something big, it screamed off line and headed for the surface. Thinking I had something good on I chased it and continued fighting it for a good 10-15min before seeing what it was. A BIG eagle ray. Looked to be as wide as the boat.. anyway during the fight I had cranked my drag up far too much just so I could lift it and as luck would have it, the rod gave way just as I saw the Ray. Snapped clean just above the stripper guide :unsure: Note to self- Dont lock the drag up on 25lb line when using a rod rated to WELL under that :unsure:

There must have been a fair few of these rays around as I saw some jump in the distance, creating massive splashes and also saw this on the sounder.

post-107-144598999787_thumb.png

Awesome image of a Ray under the boat. Can even see the tail behind it.

Looked on google when I got home and apparently they grow up to 9m in length!

Lastly a snap I got the previous session, was a slow trip so didn't write a report for it.

post-107-144598999745_thumb.jpg

All in all a good day out. Managed a new PB Snap which Im stoked with :cheer: So far its been 68, 69 and 70cm.. hopefully the next jump is over 80cm!

Thanks for reading :)

Thanks RUSSIAN

linc87- That plastic is a Zman 3inch Minnowz in Mood Ring colour, one of the new colours recently released and my new favourite!

I think you could get away with that set up for a bit under $2000. Depending on what sort of deal you can get.

Archived