Crabs are starting

Luvit

Hello, I have been away with work and holidays for 5 weeks so have been quite on the forums.

I did manage to get out for a couple of nights before all the rain and caught some sandies and muddies.

post-11868-144599009932_thumb.jpg

The muddies were not A grade and after eating them I will not take any that aren't A grade from now on. Still learning how to tell the difference with pushing on the shells, weight and experience.

Want to get out now, but work has me away for the weekend again.

I'll post again if I can get out.

I have appreciated the help I received from other generous members on the site to help me start catching these tasty crustacean's. Thank you.

Cheers,

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

I got a few sandies out the front of the reclaimed land at the port today so that might be worth a shot, but I suspect anywhere around the bay islands or anywhere in about 5 metres of water would be a chance at the moment for the sandies. Gotta say, some people are obviously not too attached to their pots. Coming back into the river today was like a slalom course with all the pots sitting in channels and out in the middle of the river. I only just missed 2 of them, so I reckon there would have been a few losses and a few angry boaties trying to get the ropes out of the props. Think people - it isn't that hard to find somewhere a little less busy to drop the pots.

I took my neighbour (who has never been fishing before) out last night in between lightning strikes. We caught about 30 crabs all up with 4 legal sandies and 1 legal Muddie. a few crabs had no claws and missing legs which looked pretty fresh. I guess the big males are around and should improve in the coming months. Sorry no pictures this time. :P

Yes I've, heard that before and hope it wasn't the case in this instance. I imagine there are many people that don't do the right thing on sizes etc. So far I have not been checked by fisheries, but most times I come back to the ramp I am the last one or at least in the last couple, maybe fisheries go to bed early :lol:

Last night we released 4 under size males that were 1 cm or less undersize. It s pretty easy with crabs there is no ambiguous argument like a fish re shrinkage, it a hard shell and we have thrown back crabs that are 1/2 mm under size. That being said if we catch one 1mm over size we keep it. Horses for courses. B)

I was able to knock off work early on Friday and go crabbing with a few tips from STKE (thanks mate). We caught 4 legal males, however we released all of them because they were not full. No crabs for Xmas, unless I sneak out before xmas eve I said to the wife.

Snuck out last night and tried some new water which looked good. We caught 2 full legals and another male under by 1/2mm! released.

post-11868-144599018389_thumb.jpg

post-11868-14459901838_thumb.jpg

Nice work mate

I went yesterday morning and pulled 5 health bucks and 1 sandie.

Heaps of pots out. Know a guy that went last night and he said it was a mine field. They only ended up with 1 sandcrab.

If we don't get any GOOD rain. The poor pine will be pretty much crabbed out for a few weeks.

Calum

G'day Luvit,

Chewy here, just tried to send you a pm but for some reason it wont work on my side. I was waiting to hear back from you some time ago about crabbing session, sandies and or muddies when you had a spare seat. Does not matter to me if its day or night, I'm keen to get a feed after Christmas.

Let me know if this appeals to you.

Merry Christmas from Chewy

Hi chewy,

So sorry mate it slipped my mind. My PM's are not working at my end either.

I'll give you a call next time I'm going hoping to get out one more time before heading back to work.

My number is 0412808823 call me or text me so I have your number for next time.

Cheers

Wayne

Hi Luvit,

That's alright mate, these things happen. I'll give you a call in a few days time. Crabs go off the bite so to speak between now and a few days, I don't know why, something to do with the change in high tide variations, i.e. highest of the highs and lowest of the highs...

Cheers, Chewy

I had a an opportunity to head out crabbing again, probably the last chance before back to work.

Sorry Chewy it was a spur of the moment thing and I haven't heard from you yet. Text me your number so I can call when I have a deckie spot, PM are still not working.

I tried a new area of the Pine last night and tried getting away from all the pots in the river. As it happens I feel it was a good outcome in the heavy crabbed holiday period. We kept 3 full Bucks and we released 1 that was not full.

This was my Neighbours sons 13yo first outing so he was happy to go home with a Muddy and Catfish for dinner.

I was happy with the other 2.

post-11868-144599019563_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived