Best Christmas ever. Hutchies 25-12-2013

crazywalrus

Shane generously offered to take me out on the water on Christmas day as my usual deckies where whipped and had to family stuff lol. :whistle: :evil: :S Shane wanted to leave at 11pm Christmas Eve. We head out but the wind was up just before the rain so we had a quick troll past the rock wall and Shane landed a Nice 104cm Mullaway. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

post-7418-144599018559_thumb.jpg

It was a rough sloppy trip over the bay until we got to Tangas and it was much better in the lee of the island. Funnily enough the conditions where much better off shore than in the bay. We had a few hours before light so we hit up the shallow reefs around the Cape but the current was brutal and unfishable.

We got the lures out just on sun up and began our days troll. At this stage we were the only boat out there. It was pretty slow at first with nothing landed for the first hour than the occasional Yellow Fin Tuna (YFT) bust ups popping up around the reef. Another boat arrived Humdinger a mate of Shanes and we both started working the schools. It was not long before Shane's Uncle was onto his first YFT about 1m long and fat. Shortly after we pass over the reef we have a triple hook up of YFT. The boys get their fish in quickly but I am onto an absolute monster. 30 Minutes goes by with some screaming runs and I am stuffed. Shane takes over for 15mins and it is starting to tire. I jump on again and I can hardly lift the fish off the bottom. We eventually get it up to the boat and it is a bloody 3m shark. I was more than disappointed. This thing had hit the CD 18 and swallowed it right down its gob.

post-7418-144599018569_thumb.jpg

We start the troll again this time hoping for a Spanish or Hoo. It was not long before we landed a couple of Spanish. buy this time a few more boats had arrived so we decided to let Shane's Uncle do some bottom bashing while we chucked around slugs. We moved around the reef and Shane's Uncle was kept busy with good sized Fusilers. Shane cast out a lure towards a tuna bust up and was rewarded with a 1m+ Spaniard. We managed several more strikes and I managed my first Spaniard on a Rod and not Telstra rope. Very happy.

post-7418-144599018576_thumb.jpg

post-7418-144599018583_thumb.jpg

post-7418-14459901859_thumb.jpg

Everything quietened down with all the boats around so we decided to head out to a FAD I found on Sunday. Shane made the call to deploy the hex heads and troll up there at speed. What a great call. Half way into the troll and the Tiagra is screaming. Thank god it had heaps of line on it. I jump on the Rod and land my first Hoo. Super stoked at this time. We set out the lures and it was only another km and the short lure goes screaming off. It starts to swim to the boat and Shane's Uncle was not able to keep the slack out of the line and the fish gets its freedom.

post-7418-144599018597_thumb.jpg

post-7418-144599018604_thumb.jpg

A Photo for Runty :whistle:

What a great day. One to remember for some time. Thanks for the invite Shane. It was great to get out and fish with you and your uncle and it was good to learn from another keen fisho. CW

Cheers for coming mate. It was certainly one of my best trolling trips. Some great fish caught.

Finally getting hang of it.

All last year i trolled like a noob. I didnt have right gear or lures.

Now i do. We troll on certain periods and have good spread and stick to areas where theres reports of fish.

I remember last year when fish were getting caught off straddie i was fishing out GC lol.

All i need now is to learn how to land a marlin lol. Hooking them not a problem. Getting them onboard is.

The noah was lame lol. I cant believe it took a lure. Would have dragged it up with tiagra 50 but it had to take the trynos lol.

We did a fair bit of kms yesterday and it paid off.

Cant wait to get out there again.

Good having you on board.

Always good to have guys on board who know what they doing.

Shane

Well done guys top results. We've been putting in the hours this season so far, trying to learn how to troll, at both hutchies and the bowling green and banks. Hearing of your day certainly fires me up to get back out there and your comments re learning how to troll ring in my ears....but that's half the fun, the learning. Good stuff.

Archived