Hamachi Rods?? Anyone tried them??

Bill_V

Hey guys, I am starting to get into comps and I am putting a few bream rigs together. Just been cruising ebay and stumbled upon these.

/>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HAMACHI-1-4KG-IM7-TOURNAMENT-SPIN-ROD-Braid-spinning-fishing-bream-bass-barra-/141170220861?pt=AU_FishingRods&hash=item20de669f3d&_uhb=1

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these……they sound ok but I can't find any reviews and I have never heard of them.

Cheers,

Bill

If it were me I'd spend my money elsewhere. For around that price you could get something from Samaki, Pflueger, Daiwa or the likes and have a really good rod that when the time comes to upgrade you'll still be able to get some $$ back on. There may be absolutely nothing wrong with them, but why risk it when there are plenty of rack rods that are more than capable?

• 5 years later...

Really not like they say. I got 2 zenko nano slow jig rods, baitcasting type, and the line touches the blank between the bottom 2 guides while lifting less than one kilo. Clearly not rocket science to bend it and check, so doesnt say much for the quality in my opinion. The actual build quality is very poor, guides are out of line and stickers are just stuck on, no epoxy over them. Sending it back is not an option due to cost, lucky I got it on ebay and didnt pay retail at least. Learnt a lesson I suppose

2 hours ago, Beachie said:

Really not like they say. I got 2 zenko nano slow jig rods, baitcasting type, and the line touches the blank between the bottom 2 guides while lifting less than one kilo. Clearly not rocket science to bend it and check, so doesnt say much for the quality in my opinion. The actual build quality is very poor, guides are out of line and stickers are just stuck on, no epoxy over them. Sending it back is not an option due to cost, lucky I got it on ebay and didnt pay retail at least. Learnt a lesson I suppose

Nice info thanks for the review Beachie.

Haven't tried them but at one stage was considering buying a popper rod in that brand but not at those prices, some of them are listed at over $1100. To me, no rod is worth that much and I absolutely  hate the bend in some of the pictures I saw,  the bend in them reminds me of a limp piece of spaghetti and probably just as effective. Looking at Alibaba and Alliexpress they are selling similar rods significantly cheaper, possibly  the importer is putting on a silly price to try and get buyers to think it is some kind of wonder rod and selling "slightly marked"  rods for a couple of hundred dollars also trying to build the name as a high end quality brand.

Again in my opinion even at the greatly reduced price I still think that they are grossly overpriced. Personally I like a bit of a backbone in my rods, in other words a stump puller with a flexible tip, but that is just my preference. In popper /jig rods I prefer the bend to start about 1/3 of the way up the blank, absolutely no bend at all before then, and progressively  bending more towards the tip, probably why I like Ugly Guttsbut/Tiger sticks (and in those they can go "J" shaped with out breaking the tip, in game rods a more even but slight curve unlike the Hamachi's which go almost half a circle. Having a flexible tip allows one to feel the little nibbles from bream etc, and with the powerful butt, still be able to handle a mulloway if that takes your bait instead.

I was actually looking for a a bream rod myself today but torn between getting a high graphite 2 piece rod such as the Abu Veritas 3 922H or the 2 piece Ugly Stik Gold SP802GPM, the ugly is a bit shorter and heavier in weight. Both probably overkill for bream but would give me the extra reach over the rocks if fishing from a break wall. The Ugly would be more rugged and forgiving  as you can usually put a lot of grunt on them without fear of snapping them should a Mullaway or Trevally bite. Assuming your line and rigs are strong enough.

There should be no reason for the line to touch the blank, if it does then the rod doesn't have enough properly placed guides or the rod blank is badly designed. Either way I wouldn't buy one. Just my 2 cents worth.

11 hours ago, Ed. said:

Haven't tried them but at one stage was considering buying a popper rod in that brand but not at those prices, some of them are listed at over $1100. To me, no rod is worth that much and I absolutely  hate the bend in some of the pictures I saw,  the bend in them reminds me of a limp piece of spaghetti and probably just as effective. Looking at Alibaba and Alliexpress they are selling similar rods significantly cheaper, possibly  the importer is putting on a silly price to try and get buyers to think it is some kind of wonder rod and selling "slightly marked"  rods for a couple of hundred dollars also trying to build the name as a high end quality brand.

Again in my opinion even at the greatly reduced price I still think that they are grossly overpriced. Personally I like a bit of a backbone in my rods, in other words a stump puller with a flexible tip, but that is just my preference. In popper /jig rods I prefer the bend to start about 1/3 of the way up the blank, absolutely no bend at all before then, and progressively  bending more towards the tip, probably why I like Ugly Guttsbut/Tiger sticks (and in those they can go "J" shaped with out breaking the tip, in game rods a more even but slight curve unlike the Hamachi's which go almost half a circle. Having a flexible tip allows one to feel the little nibbles from bream etc, and with the powerful butt, still be able to handle a mulloway if that takes your bait instead.

I was actually looking for a a bream rod myself today but torn between getting a high graphite 2 piece rod such as the Abu Veritas 3 922H or the 2 piece Ugly Stik Gold SP802GPM, the ugly is a bit shorter and heavier in weight. Both probably overkill for bream but would give me the extra reach over the rocks if fishing from a break wall. The Ugly would be more rugged and forgiving  as you can usually put a lot of grunt on them without fear of snapping them should a Mullaway or Trevally bite. Assuming your line and rigs are strong enough.

There should be no reason for the line to touch the blank, if it does then the rod doesn't have enough properly placed guides or the rod blank is badly designed. Either way I wouldn't buy one. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks Ed

On 27/01/2014 at 9:12 AM, Bill_V said:

Hey guys, I am starting to get into comps and I am putting a few bream rigs together. Just been cruising ebay and stumbled upon these.

/>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HAMACHI-1-4KG-IM7-TOURNAMENT-SPIN-ROD-Braid-spinning-fishing-bream-bass-barra-/141170220861?pt=AU_FishingRods&hash=item20de669f3d&_uhb=1

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these……they sound ok but I can't find any reviews and I have never heard of them.

Cheers,

Bill

I have purchased one of the hamachi nano xylium rods in pe1-3 for a reef fishing rod paired with a quantum throttle 55 running 30lb braid. And in my opinion its the best outfit ever can feel the slightest of hits and handles big fish with ease. Am purchashing another in the next day or two. Definatly not cheap chinese quality. They offer a great warranty service with most cases settled by email and photos of damage/faults of the rod. Would reccomend to anyone looking at a decent built rod without going custom.