advice needed please

formofisho

Am looking at buying a boat with a 150 Yamaha salt water series 2. it is a aprox 10 years old with only 78hrs on it.

Extremely low. This is a private seller.

Went for a sea trial last weekend and the hrs seem legitimate because the boat is the same age and is immaculate. Hull is shiny upholstery is like new, clears and stickers were like they were put on yesterday.

So leave the ramp got about 200m on comes the alarm. look back and only a dribble of water is coming out the motor. promptly returned back to ramp turned motor off. tried 10 mins later same thing.

Bloke selling the boat has taking it to the mechanic this week said it was a build up of salt that was blocking the flow. Also replaced thermostats and a couple of gaskets. compression tests and given it a thorough check. and has given it the green light.

Seller has given me the mechanics number so I can call him tomorrow and get the low down.

Although I have owned boats and been around outboards my whole life my mechanical knowledge pretty much stops at putting fuel and oil in and towing the boat down to the mechanics for its annual service.

For its age this outboard has pretty much been in storage its whole life. and this worries me ive been told this can be quite damaging to an outboard, engines are designed to be used frequently.

What are potential things that could be wrong with it?

What Questions should I be asking the mechanic tomorrow?

Has any got or know someone with a Yammy salt water series 150 ? how are they? how is fuel consumption compared with other 2 strokes

Other boat we are looking at has a 135 optimax 280hs is this a better option?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Archived