Hervey Bay 18-20th October

Luvit

After a suggestion from a fello AFO I gave HB a bit more thought. The kids have got a student free day on the 20th so I thought we might as well give the Scout a good run and check the fishing out. We'll probably camp at big4 caravan park so if anyone going up over that time we could catch up and share so fishing stories.

Just putting it out there.

Cheers Wayne

I'll have to change my mind set because when I think of Marlin, we use to fish at Bermagui you could catch striped marlin 70-150kg average and 24kg was the norm and light was 15kg.

Tuna stuff will be fine then and exciting.

Are you tempted to come up with the kids Ted, my kids get along well with yours?

Don't worry about big gear on these juvenile blacks Wayne.

Over the years I have caught a lot on small reels like 5600 and 6500 abu baitcasters with 4 and 6kg lines.

I have also caught plenty on small threadline reels and a number of marlin on handlines.

As Ted said,use appropriate leaders and be prepared to chase the fish in the boat.

Generally if you can keep up and survive the first one or 2 runs they will just dog it out and do a number of jumps without losing too much line.

You will always encounter the odd one though that will do long runs and greyhounding at the same time and they can be a handful on any type of gear.

Go and hook them up if you can, you will never know if you can land one without trying.

Thanks Lance,

What would be the best technique to target them. Small trolled skirts 6" , divers or just casting SP at them?

I'd prefer to catch them on lures but if the best way is to bridle lives around the bait schools happy to do that as well. :)

I used to spin them up using large Raiders, it is a great method that works well when you can see them on the surface.

The best way though is definitely using live baits around the bait schools or slow trolling bridled lives over the known marlin grounds and reefs.

Best bait is live Bonito,then Slimies and then Yakkas.

Bonito will not live in a bait tank so you need to bridle them up and slow troll over the schools or as you get on top of the reefs or bait schools just stop and let the bonny swim deep.He will naturally go down into the bait school for cover and hopefully get taken if any gamefish are hanging around.

Slimies are good as you can motor around and find the bait schools and drop them straight down into the bait schools and drift over them.

Trolling small lures is worth a go too.

Small surface lures like the Pakulas in 6-8 inch sizes are fantastic lures to troll for Juvie Blacks, Tuna, Cobia and Mackeral ect.

You have a ton of options up there to try until you find the one that is working.

Archived