Christmas Eve PB Bass!

Joe K

I decided to return for another round of landbased bassin after lunch hoping the bass school would return. The bass were scarce and it was a hot day. My blade was on the 2nd drop and the rod was yanked down hard with the fish pulling away. I lifted my 20lb Barra rod and I could hear the rod "creaking" under pressure from the weight of the struggling fish. I knew this was a 2.5kg plus fish and my chances of landing it was slim unless I had it up near the surface. I was trying my best to pump it up and away from the snags as it made a lunge for the last snag. The water boiled as the bass trashed on the surface a foot from the snag. As I patiently reeled her into 3 feet of water she knew the danger and refused to be pulled toward the bank. I saw she was my 2014 PB bass and was hoping my hooks and knots would hold. . After some coaxing I had her on the bank and I knew she was my BIGGEST bass ever. Hooray Joe! It's taken me 18 months to better my landbased PB of 54cm.

post-10975-144599090845_thumb.jpg

After a few quick pics I released her and she swam off on the surface with her pectoral fin in the air but 25 metres from the bank I saw her floating on her side in distress. I ripped off my clothes and swam out to her. She was very tired and I put Dino's thumb grip on her and swam her back to shallow water. For 5 minutes as I swam her in clear water she kept floating on her side. After close to 10 minutes she was swimming with me and with a head shake my thumb grip was off and she swam strongly into deep water. What an enormous relief for me and I was soon overtaken by great happiness at my good fortune.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Cheers... Joe.

Thanks guys! The big girl was surely a huge surprise and a great finish for 2014. I hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas feast and returned home safe last night.

There were a few kayaks out at the dam early today. Masses of catfish were out looking for a quick feed. Forkies: 22 Tilapia: 1 Bass: 0

Cheers... Joe.

post-10975-144599090934_thumb.jpg

post-10975-144599090943_thumb.jpg

post-10975-144599090949_thumb.jpg

Archived