Need a sweet setup for ultra light lure casting

Dan23

Looking into getting a high quality setup for light lure fishing. I'm leading towards a Shimano Twinpower 1000 4lb reel and something like a Berkley Dropshot 1-3kg. Maybe a rod that's a little better. Rod needs to only be 6'6, 7 foot is too long to manage in the kayak.

What are some opinions?

Starlo stick's only go down to 2-5kg who makes raider?

I'm targeting Bream, Flathead, Trevelley, Taylor. Mostly small to medium estuary fish on sx40s, sprogs, and 1/32 ounce soft plastics. Need heaps of casting distance for clear water fishing. Will be using light 2lb to 4lb fluro targeting bream and 8lb fluro on flatties and bigger game.

Planning to spool with a 4lb braid. Something premium.

Really want to get an awesome super finesse system but for under $500 all up including line.

If you want to have a play with any of the Shimano stuff, the new stradics just arrived, we have twin powers and sustains also,

Good range of Starlo Stix and Raiders A.T.M + dropshots and Penn Pinpoints etc.

let me know ( u know where I am! )

PS I don't get any commision or anything, so no pressure from me! B)

Rocket

I'm taking people's advice and I'll also check out the sol. Pitty it only goes down to 6lb though. I'll have a play with both and see how they feel. My ultimate goal is a light reel that will cast 1-4g lures really far, have a smooth drag, avoid line twist and last a long time. And come in under $300 :P

Budget for rod is $100-150 and want to leave 60 odd bucks for some premium braid. Looking into Varivas but it doesn't seem to be available in under 10 pound.

Rod needs to be 6'6 and ultra light, durable and once again able to cast far. I was impressed with the casting distance of 1-3kg berkley drop shot on the weekend but am willing to get something better if I think it'll cast significantly further.

Yeah, I hear you booty. Me too usually but I'm tired of catching good fish on my crappy $50 outfits. I'm still landing heaps of fish but it just feels ugly and my reels creak and the drags are stiff. I'm constantly loosening and tightening drag settings because they change themselves. I've busted off on strikes because my drag has decided to tighten itself up. Just want one really good quality setup that I can trust. It's especially important with finesse fishing and ultra light line because there's so much less room for error.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

dan, there's a daiwa luvias 2000 for sale in another furom. NIB, 250

I think that's still too heavy.

I'm going to keep looking till xmas so I have a few months to look at every single option and make the perfect choice. I'll hopefully still be using it in 20 years time then

Dan23 wrote:

Apparently the twin powers have a funtion to ultra slowly wind line on the reel so it goes on nicely first time and doesn't get twists. I think a 2000 is too big for what I'm looking at doing. Anyone try the procaster series?

that's Shimano's \"Super-Slow Oscillation\". not too good if you're going to be messing around with SPs and light lines - the lack of tension causes incorrect line lay and stuff.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

i have decided to use my FW only reel in SW. so next time,dan, u'll see me casting sx60s with baitcaster

Mate check out the Freams Kix as well at Tacklewarehouse. Really smooth and nice. and i am usually a shimano preacher!

Angus

bjhbreamchaser wrote:

G'day Dan are you chasing a new set up or 2nd hand. If chasing 2nd hand might have something that could intrest you

Thanks for the offer but I'm going to go with brand new. I just snapped the tip off my main workhorse rod so my new outfit might have to come a little sooner than I had planned.

After reading heaps and talking to lots of people I'm starting to think a 2000sol and Procaster A would be a good choice. Need to find a place that stocks both to see how they match up. Looked at more expensive rods but can't find one in 2 piece 6'6 and 1-3kg kind of range. Most ultra lights are 6'10 or over 7 foot. That's too big for Kayak fishing.

dan, don;t surf the net for a rod, u can search reels on net but not rods! u have to get done to stores and try out different rods.

for what i have tried: GLX is definitely the sweetest i have hold. then the daiwa battler. there r a lot of nice bream specific rods by blackdiamonds and shimano as well, but well over 500 most of the time. the shimano t-curve;s sweet rod with plenty of backbone.

for cheaper options, there r a lot of daiwa rods at 100 price tag, but don;t get the berkley drop-shot, i have used it for drop-shotting, jigs, crankbaits and spinnerbaits and find it great for drop-shotting but the soft tip makes driving crankbait rather hard and sensitivity's totally lost when the rod tips bend too much when cranking the handle

Yeah, I'm going to try out some stuff and see. I have used the drop shot for crank baiting and it worked well. Will see how the Procaster A looks.

I have used a 6'6 rod in the kayak a lot and it is almost too long. Ours is a 2 seater so there isn't a lot of room to maneuver rods around.

Archived