Phillips Park Tailor Tonight

Joe K

Hi Tailor Fishos!

I drove down to Sea World at 5pm to find it as crowded as the Ekka. I could not find a spot to squeeze in as some guys actually had 2 surf rods out at the same time.

Anyway, I raced down to Phillips Park and had my 1st cast at 5.30pm. Got two hits on my 2nd & 3rd casts for 2 nice tailor >50cm. Over the next 30 mins I got 4 more hits, landing 3 tailor. The fish are now fattened up with thick fillets.

The tailor were gone after 6.15pm. I kept fishing and before 7pm I got a hard pull. You beauty! I was praying for a jewfish but after a 6 minute struggle it was a fat shovel nose shark. My Aussie mates love the fillets but I decided to release it. They can eat tailor fillets instead. It was a beautiful evening around 22degrees at 7.15pm. I was off quickly to KFC for their Tuesday 9 piece special! Happy Tailoring!

Cheers... Joe.

post-10975-144599118981_thumb.jpg

post-10975-14459911899_thumb.jpg

post-10975-144599118998_thumb.jpg

post-10975-144599119005_thumb.jpg

post-10975-144599119013_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys! I was fishing in the extreme left of the 2nd photo away from the crowd. I guess when the tailor are in you only require a decent gutter. The tailor size has improved since my trip last Tuesday. I was using pillies and 4/0 ganged hooks.

Sam, I was using pilcharda like most fishos at dusk. Spinning slugs and heavy minnows are the go at dawn.

Damien, walking along the beach and casting into gutters at dawn should find you a tailor school. The crowds usually build up after 4pm. Good luck!

Old Scaley, one of my fav tailor recipes is to grill the fish over medium hot charcoal. Love the smokey flavor and crisp golden brown skin.

Angus, I'm sure the choppers are hitting the South Straddie beaches now. And there should be some action on Main Beach, Point Lookout soon.

Three fisho mates decided to mingle with the Sea World crowd 5-7pm yesterday. They did not see a tailor landed! Tailor can be so unpredictable and often we need some luck on our side.

The same 3 fisho mates were fishing between Sea World and the SPJetty tonight. The tailor started biting on the turn of the tide at 7.15pm.

Tugger, I agree with you as the chopped up pillies will keep the tailor feeding in the gutter. The problem we have down the Gold Coast is that 70% of fishos cast out and allow the sweep to drift the pilly several metres before reeling in. This is the method me and my mates fish for tailor. A new breed of tailor fishos use 100 pound braid and large grapnel sinkers which keeps the pilly stationery. So when we fish among these guys every second cast is tangled with 2 or 3 fishing lines. This is the reason I stay away from a crowded gutter.

Archived