Borumba Trip - Nearly Toga!

bersim

Dad and I have been planning a day trip up to Borumba for some time now and seeing as Dad had Friday off work, we made the long drive up to the dam. It is definitely one of the prettiest dams I have ever fished in and the excitement of a toga makes each cast all the more exhilarating! After flicking our lures in a likely looking cove and witnessing a huge toga surface strike, we headed down to the arms that are loaded with timber. After a short drive we found a likely looking bank and began fishing.

It turned out that this bank was absolutely packed with toga and we would see the odd smash on the surface, along with watching them free swimming along the bank. We would have seen well over 20 toga throughout the day and many of them were in pairs. They were very reluctant to hit the lures though, possibly due them still spawning? Anyway they weren't interested in the lures at all! We did have a bit of excitement when I began winding in a megabass dog x jnr and a huge 70cm+ toga went leaping out of the air right beside my lure. I'm not sure if this was just a territorial response or it missed the lure because it was too big to control its body :P Dad also watched a toga following in his zman but neither were tempted to bite down on them. At the end of the day we tried for some bass, throwing just about every possible lure at them, as well as doing a short troll along the bank. As Samrenny discovered the other week, the bass are most definitely shut down! No toga pics this time, but I'm confident that when we head back in summer we may just be able to connect a few to our lines. Now that I think back on it, I really should have snapped a few pics of the free swimming toga. Was a spectacular sight to see! Even though we didn't catch one it sure felt like we did with all of the toga we saw!

post-11154-144599125112_thumb.jpg

post-11154-144599125124_thumb.jpg

post-11154-144599125135_thumb.jpg

post-11154-144599125145_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading!

James

There actually weren't too many lillies but they were scattered here and there. Sadly we didn't really see any togas around them, mainly just in coves and along the timber banks. Yes exactly. Was frustrating but in the same way very exciting. There were so many toga around I reckon I would have had a better chance scooping one up in the net than actually catching one on the rod :P Keen for next trip!

James

Its when they park their boats in front of the ramp and give you the evil eye when you want to get out at the ramp.

Dino

We managed to get away just before a ski boat came in. I can imagine that they would be like that though. They think they own the place!

James

Haha yeah but it's sort of like your tuna session donut yesterday hey :lol: I'm quite confident that when we head back in the warmer months, they will be more active than they were on Friday. Still can't believe we didn't catch one considering how many good casts we got right at them!

James

Nice report mate, a couple of mates and i spent a night there at Christmas last year and fished the arvo and morning. I managed to loose 4 togas and got a bunch of bass so you might be better off when its a bit warmer! I cant wait to get back up there, such a magnificent location and catching a few is a bonus.

Cheers Glenn.

We'll see what happens in the next few weeks. This weekend is the Variety Childrens bash and the following weekend is Tag a Toga. I've heard it's been a bit hit and miss lately.

Yeah I was thinking about going along to the Tag a Toga, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it. Hopefully they're more inclined to hit the lures in summer!

James

Nice report mate, a couple of mates and i spent a night there at Christmas last year and fished the arvo and morning. I managed to loose 4 togas and got a bunch of bass so you might be better off when its a bit warmer! I cant wait to get back up there, such a magnificent location and catching a few is a bonus.

Cheers Glenn.

Thanks Glenn. Yeah it's my first time fishing there and I'm already hooked on the spot. Awesome dam to explore and very scenic. Ok that's good to know. Definitely heading up a few times in the holidays. Should have my Ps by then so if Dad can't make it, I can always spend some time there by myself :woohoo:

James

That dam can be a tough nut to crack sometimes, I have a love hate relationship with it :lol:

Do yourselves a favour next time and spend the weekend, it's only $10 or $20 to stay at the dam wall camp grounds, their amenities are pretty good and it will allow you to get a heap more time on the water.

Sorry for the slow reply Ant. Yeah Dad and I were thinking about staying the night up there but we decided not to push our luck :P I'll have my ps in the holidays so might do a trip up there to suss the area out more. Definitely a beautiful dam full of clever fish!

James

Archived