Topwater Bassin (Cats)

Joe K

Drove to Fernvale Bakery for a chunky meat pie and coffee to fuel up before a 2 hour fishing session. Arrived at the river to sounds of thunder and a SW breeze. Not deterred I cast for 90mins losing 2 Jackall Mask Vibs and a Bassman spinnerbait without getting a hit. As the sun set my big cod lure (Wooden Bunny) got smashed hard with a big surface hit. The fish thrashed on the surface then dived trying to shake off the lure. After a struggle I slide it up the bank and turn on the torch. A BIG 55cm catfish! Good fun but what a letdown. 

Next cast 1/3 across the river and smash! Another surface hit and the fish dives. Hoping it's a real fish this time I shine my torch but I see another BIG 52cm catfish! The next 2 casts result in 2 more surface hits and more cats! Good fun but one can only put up with so much slime!:no:

Cheers... Joe. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Returned to the river at dusk Saturday for another topwater session. Just on dusk I got two baby bass in quick succession. A few casts later a big surface strike that snapped my 12lb fluro leader. My next cast was hit hard with a big splash, a dive to the bottom then thrashing on the surface as the fish tried to dislodge the hooks. I pumped it in within 4m of the bank. It suddenly surged to the left and I was bricked. Too bad I could not identify the fish. My guess is either a cod or forkie. 

Archived