My first Alvey Reel.

chubbstar

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/sale_003_AFO.jpg

Hey Guys'n'girls, I was on my way home from work and seen a garage sale, sign so I called in there just as they were opening. I spotted a couple of rods and asked if they were for sale and the lady told me that everything is, So long story short the rods were crap but I spotted a couple of Alvey reels. 1 Alvey Surf Champion 650B and 1 model no 55A. Asked the woman how much? she said \"$2 each:blink: \" Thank you I'll have them:woohoo: . Did I do OK(as in score a bargin), how much are they worth new? :huh: . I've never used an Alvey, Arnt they good for surf fishing? I hope so because I also bought a 4m Surecatch surf rod from her for $5. Oh and a little car fridge for $20 used once and still in the box with plastic, also a like new Jarvis Walker cast net 9' for $5. I'm happy with my pit stop on the way home, but my wife wont be :blush: .

Jayson

post-1458-14459843111_thumb.jpg

:blink: Woooooot!!!

I scored a bargin instead of getting ripped off, Well thats a nice change.

The A series has 55A, so would that mean 550? The 650 holds 600m of 9kg line:ohmy:

The woman told me that the gear was her X-Boyfriends :laugh: :laugh:

Could I catch Jew from the beach with the 4m rod and 650B reel? What line would you recommend?:huh:

Jayson

Jew probably 20lb or 30lb, if u chose 20lb you might be able to target Tailor on the same setup aswell, Just make sure the rods stiff enough for jew. The 55 is probably better suited to estuary work, I wouldnt use anything lower then 600 in the surf and even that would just be whiting.

The 55a stands for 5.5\" and the 650b stands for 6.5\" Spool diameter.

Archived