Golden Trevally at Maroochy River

robski

Went up to the Sunny Coast, Thursday, to visit my Sister, who lives at maroochdore. The river seemed like the easiest place to have a fish from. So after a short walk from the carpark near cotton-tree I found a spot in the river that looked quite deep and promising. I hooked up one of those smaller variety of prawns ( is it a Banana prawn?) and casted out. The prawn was literally in the water for only 8 seconds before a decent sized fish takes the line and starts fighting hard. After a good couple of minutes, and amongst a few keen observers, I've found out I've got my first GT. :cheer:

Totally unexpected - was just trying to catch a few bream. So I was pretty unhappy that I had to leave the spot so quickly and get the fish back to the house and into the freezer. Went back to the same spot the next day but the prawns ( being a day old) were coming off the hook far too easily. Still managed to get a few bream with them, and also had an even harder fight from what must have been an even bigger GT. It busted me off amongst the rocks though. These Gt's could have been schooling in this particular spot, which just seemed to be teeming with fish. Surprisingly, no-one else was fishing it, but alot of people were fishing 40- 50 metres in either direction from the spot.:blink: and not catching much from what I could see.

Anyway, got nowhere near as much time there as I would of liked, so I'm going back soonish.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/img_3183.jpg

post-803-144598431126_thumb.jpg

pinkey wrote:

what a nice fish man great catch , how did it taste?

It was good . I don't normally eat a lot of fish though. Especially ones that I catch. Felt a bit guilty for keeping it because it was so nice looking. But really wanted to bring something back to the house for dinner.

I used to spend a lot of time camping at Maroochy (up to 11 weeks of the year), and have caught a handful of small golden trevs (to maybe half that size), but nothing of that quality, well done mate :)

Also caught a few small (6\"-8\") Queenfish, which make for a change from the never-ending supply of undersize whiting :)

jeff f wrote:

if you want to catch huge golden trevally go to tin can bay or hervey bay. use 200mm summer whiting for bait and fish over yabby banks that have a meter or more of water over them

Thanks, Jeff. I can only imagine what it would be like to have one twice the size of mine on a hook. If only I had a boat...

Archived