Lake K Disappointment

Dinodadog

Decided to see if the back could cope with a yak session this morning, well the back was ok but the knees are a bit shaky. Lake K was a big disappointment, only managed 3 tiny bass, I have never seen so much empty space on the sounder. When they cut a one meter gap in the wall I dont think they realised that after the last lot of rain the water was about 50cm over the wall, then when the water started going down it took a few days to get to the bottom of the big cut in the wall, result thousands of fish escaped through the gap. A lot of these fish died in the pool below the dam when the water flow stopped and the pool became stagnant. Its going to take a lot of stocking to make up the loss.

Dino

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

Yes Lake K spills into the North Pine. Unfortunately, they are a number of pools below the spillway that trap bass as the flow from the spillway reduces. These trapped bass will eventually die from lack of oxygen, lack of food and polluted water from the dead bass.

The only permanent way to remedy this would be to fill those pools so bass can't get trapped.

See below for why the slot was cut in the dam wall.

http://www.seqwater.com.au/water-supply/asset-maintenance-construction/dam-improvement-program/sideling-creek-dam-lake

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a picture tat went around on social media a lil bit after the water had come out of the dam!
It saddens me the amount of fish that died, and there were some big ones in there, i saw 4or 5 50cm+ bass just dead on the side of the feeder creek to north pine river! Hopefully when the water pushed through there initially alot of the bass made it down to North pine!!

Cheers

Dan

FB_IMG_1472725406716.jpg

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Ryano85au said:

Is it worth fishing in e creek/river at youngs crossing, the low level bridge?

I have fished there before, the large pool gets alot of people swimming and carrying on this time of year and ive found the fish go further up the creek, but i have caught bass from both sides of youngs crossing rd.

2 hours ago, Ryano85au said:

Ohhhh, is it accessible on foot to try and catch these bullies?

ive walked it but had to cross the river a few times.. up to waste deep.. at this time i wasnt aware there were bullies in there, needless to say on the same solo trek after i had crossed the river said few times i was casting a small crank and had a follow up by a small bullie scared the **** outta me, then i had to make my way back crossing creek again!! needless to say crossing the river on the way back was alot harder then when i was first heading down that way. There are a few spots you can access that part of the river though from other spots then youngs... use google earth @Ryano85au to find some spots!! get out there and explore!! 

Archived