rumrunners maiden voyage to the 20 fathom reefs

rumrunner

:woohoo: im exited!!!

my first mate phill took my gps with him on a charter boat off the gold coast to the 20 fathom reefs last week,

witch is 9kms east of the gold coast bar.

his first hook up of the day was a 7kg cobia and every fish pulled was marked on my gps, so i now have 40 gps weighpoints on that reef!

the plan is now to try and get a few boats together to make the trip!

the date i was thinking is 24/11 but it will depend on weather conditions?

i wont go unless the swell is 1.0 or under!

my thaughts were to leave at sunrise so we can see what we are doing being the first time and all!

and all boats can meet at the sth/est side of wavebreak island and follow the gps track i have from the charterboat.

i have another mate that will bring his boat, so ther is two boats so far i think ?

i have been very interested in heading offshore now i have a boat that can handle it!

im not sure if you would call this an event ? mabe we will call it a fishing trip!

so if you are keen to give the open waters a go , and your boat is safe and reliable ?

then let me know what you think of my trip and we can make it a great day! [img size=240]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/100_2822__WinCE_.jpg

post-2165-144598431258_thumb.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey mate ill be well keen. We probably arnt going out that far this first trip since the old man is soft. So would be good to head out to the 20's with a few of us and ill feel alot more confident after our trip this thursday.

Just depends on the old man if he is keen and has nothing on the 24th. Havnt been given the unlimited access to his boat yet. I sunk his smaller one when i was 18 and he hasnt forgotten about it yet!

Im getting sounder and chart plotter installed this wednesday and picking up 3 setups also.

Bring on the offshore...

ryno1983 wrote:

Hey mate ill be well keen. We probably arnt going out that far this first trip since the old man is soft. So would be good to head out to the 20's with a few of us and ill feel alot more confident after our trip this thursday.

Just depends on the old man if he is keen and has nothing on the 24th. Havnt been given the unlimited access to his boat yet. I sunk his smaller one when i was 18 and he hasnt forgotten about it yet!

Im getting sounder and chart plotter installed this wednesday and picking up 3 setups also.

Bring on the offshore...

well tell the old man its my birthday! i turn 28 on the 27th of nov and this trip is my pressi to myself!

also i am iterested in finding some bait gathering areas on the way out if you or any 1 knows of any?B)

obone wrote:

Do they mind you bringing a GPS on a charter? I would have thought they would have been proctective about their spots?

Joel ;)

well yes they were!

i was on my 1st trip to the port that day and wanted to take my gps with me! but i thaught it would be much better to give it to him for the day and let him get some good weighpoints for me!

he phoned me at 5:30am saying they would not allow gps on board!

so i told him to turn it on any way and wear it round his neck, and if they ask him to turn it off just do as they ask! but tell them as you do, it is either leave it on or hav a rumrunner following you out next weekend?

1 of skippers said it was ok in the end they just dont want every1 doing it!

rumrunner wrote:

obone wrote:
Do they mind you bringing a GPS on a charter? I would have thought they would have been proctective about their spots?

Joel ;)

well yes they were!

i was on my 1st trip to the port that day and wanted to take my gps with me! but i thaught it would be much better to give it to him for the day and let him get some good weighpoints for me!

he phoned me at 5:30am saying they would not allow gps on board!

so i told him to turn it on any way and wear it round his neck, and if they ask him to turn it off just do as they ask! but tell them as you do, it is either leave it on or hav a rumrunner following you out next weekend?

1 of skippers said it was ok in the end they just dont want every1 doing it!

Haha cheeky :P . But I would do the same!

Joel ;)

whatnow wrote:

1m swell is really small and barely makes you rock but it doesnt go below 1m very often 1.5m is pretty good still

my birth day is on the 27th to!

yeah i guess im being a bit of a pussy, i will prob still go if they are 1.7 but i would be watching the wind like a hawk!

:S

• 2 weeks later...

big al wrote:

Hey Rumrunner, myself & my son will be keen,let you know for sure during next week when it gets a bit closer.

I have a Fisher 4.8 ext.transom(5.3m hull) centre console with a 115hp suzi 4stroke

sounds great mate;)

it looks like there are 4 boats going now and we are the smallest, with mine at 5.2mtr,and the others are 18 footers.

also i will be heading out on saturday this weekend to have a practice on the seaway if you are out that way!;)

big al wrote:

Hey Rumrunner did you get out today?

:blink: yes i did!

we headed out at about 9.30 and went straight for the 20 fathoms and didnt look back!

the waves were pretty dam big and i dont think it was as the weather predicted,

but i thaught it would be great expiriance for me.

from the bottom of the wave to the tip was showing 13ft on my sounder:S

we got to the 20's and there were a few big boats out there allready and 1 mad man in a 14ft tinnie:laugh:

we put the lines in and arter about 10 min of feeling like your in a washing machine! and no hook ups my stomoch finaly gave in:unsure:

we didnt have enuff weight on so they were not hitting the bottom fast enuff,

i feel it was a bit too rugh to fish for a first trip!

and so did my stomoch! after another quick spew we were off again.

it took approx 30 min each way!

we headed in to the seaway and fished that area for the rest of the day ,

the fish were a bit quiet though we only got 15 for the day of a mixed bag with the best being a grassy sweetlip at 31cm

im still keen as mustard for next week and i will bring some sea sick pills tooB) [img size=480]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/100_2966__Custom_.jpg

post-2165-144598432781_thumb.jpg

Archived