Help me choose a heavy SP outfit.

dhess

Hey Guys,

After seeing a friend catch some very impressive snapper on SP's when bait was not producing offshore I have decided to take the plunge and give SP's a go offshore.

I am looking at a 7' ish rod (not sure which one) in a 4-8kg or 6-10kg weight class with possibly a daiwa caldia 4000 or shimano stradic 5000 loaded with 20lb braid. A guy at the local tackle shop showed me a 4-8kg berkley drop shot for around $150 which felt alright.

1) What would you guys recommend for a rod? The budget is up to $250 but will go higher if I can justify it.

2) Do you think an outfit like the one described above will have enough stopping power when it comes to serious fish?

3) Is it worth the extra cash to get a certate or fireblood or saltiga or stella over the reels described above.

4) Is it worth looking at a baitcasting outfit?

Thanks in advance.

don;t go any lighter than 20lb if u wanna have constant success.

i guess 20-30lb rod ( a 20-30lb loomis is not heavier than a 10-20lb drop-shot, much more fun)

as for reel, go 3000 size, get saltiga if budget allows, they lasts long and let u fish with real confidence.

23-30lb braid is the best choice with the reel of that size.(those who fished with me knows what real braid is like) easily 200-300m on a 3000 reel

then u'll have gr8 fun as this outfit LOOKS ULTRALIGHT for snapper but indeed, has serious stopping power.

spinning outfit is ok and it's more suitable if u wanna do some light jigging with it as well. but personally i love casting outfits.

rod: get a loomis if u can, the warrenty will keep the GL3 less than 300 per rod

reel: Certate definitely if budget allows. saltiga's second choice. go to ebay or US based online stores and u can spend the money of a sol to buy a certate.

line:VARIVAS SEABASS 23LB-35LB, VARIVAS BAY JIGGING 10*10 20LB, TD-SENSOR-8...

personal preference, maybe not as lite as most would recommend, but loosing 10 big ones to catch 2-3 of them is not much fun though. a suitable set up is more important to me than a set up purely for fun

Shimano make the Starlo Stix Snapper H. (heavy).

It's about 7 foot tall from memory, and is made for the type of fishing you are contemplating.

Price is very reasonable, approx 115 -159, and has proved very popular. You know where i am if you want to \"have a play with it\"!

see ya

Rocket

dhess wrote:

Hey Guys,

After seeing a friend catch some very impressive snapper on SP's when bait was not producing offshore I have decided to take the plunge and give SP's a go offshore.

I am looking at a 7' ish rod (not sure which one) in a 4-8kg or 6-10kg weight class with possibly a daiwa caldia 4000 or shimano stradic 5000 loaded with 20lb braid. A guy at the local tackle shop showed me a 4-8kg berkley drop shot for around $150 which felt alright.

1) What would you guys recommend for a rod? The budget is up to $250 but will go higher if I can justify it.

2) Do you think an outfit like the one described above will have enough stopping power when it comes to serious fish?

3) Is it worth the extra cash to get a certate or fireblood or saltiga or stella over the reels described above.

4) Is it worth looking at a baitcasting outfit?

Thanks in advance.

I love the big Stradics so the Stradic 5000 over the Daiwa would get my vote all day long.

Then in regards to your rod, id just match it with a suitable matching Shimano rod to your price range. So whats that a T-curve or a raider depending on where your shopping...

Maybe even conider a Starlo Stick. I love mine and it will save you some coin for a great quality rod. AS Rocket said i do beleive there be one called Snapper Heavy that is pretty much tailored for your wants.

Angus

i'm with rocket. for the fishing you describe i use a 4-8kg starlo stix, cost $119 from bcf, teamed up with a daiwa 4000 exceler spooled with 20lb braid. always reliable, 16kg cobia thru a bit of a scare into me but the gear won out in the end. total cost of rod and reel was $268.

buzz

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

next time i post, i will make sure everything is right before i press submit hehe
hey kevin how are you going to make sure we all have our minds in gear mate lol and by the sound of it you need to do some weights ill lift miles past 5pound at 1.8m with one arm i can hold 5killo out at arms reach for over a minute and im a fat broken old fart :P come to think of it a mate of mine curls 50kg with one arm and does a few sets i know thats not at arms length or anything its just some people are stronger than others and some have better resilience i have none so dont look at me i cant run to the toilet without needing a snooze:P

yeh we been using gear like what buzz is talking about dom, the idea as i see it is not to use heavy gear as thats what our tlds are for as nite comes in and the big ones come on, its just to pick up some reasonable quality through the daytime when there pretty touchy and more keen on a floater style, thin braid and a med rod gives great feel and faster down time.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

hey faulked, ur right

but i mean no matter how strong a fisherman is, he will be scared by the bend of a 10kg rod when lifting a 6lb and give up. ha

you are completely right kevin i just put some scales on my 8kg spin stik and stopped leaning on it before 4lb im sure it could lift a 4lb fish in the heat of the moment but for arguments sake i wasnt going to push it:(

Thanks for the replies guys.:)

Yes the Egrell rods are meant to be very nice but I think they are closer to $400-$500.

After going around a few tackle stores I have ended up with an outfit I think I will be happy with.

Had a long hard look at a 17lb team daiwa rod teamed up with a sol 3000 but ended up not getting it because of slightly low line capacity. Had a very good look at a pfleuger medalist rod, it was very nice but not worth $299 IMHO.

Ended up settling on an Innovator Nitro Viper 7' 2 piece 6-8kg rod. It has a ridiculous amount of power in the butt, is made of im8 graphite and is very crisp. Innovator rods also have an insurance policy similar to Loomis where you pay $60 and you have the broken piece replaced.

For the reel I had a difficult task deciding between a 2008 stradic 5000 and a caldia 4000. In the end the stradic won out because it was slightly more compact, $20 cheaper, more solid gearing, wind in handle and a spare spool. The caldia looked nicer as it had less gold bling on it, slightly better line capacity and was perhaps a touch lighter.

Now for the line I ended up getting up getting green 20lb sunline super PE braid. Never used this line so will be interesting to see what its like.

Add on 3 packets of plastics and some jigheads and there goes $600.:ohmy:

I felt so guilty that I ended up buying my missus a touch ipod so she wouldn't get the sh!ts with me.:laugh:

faulked wrote:

kevinchen19870316 wrote:
hey faulked, ur right

but i mean no matter how strong a fisherman is, he will be scared by the bend of a 10kg rod when lifting a 6lb and give up. ha

you are completely right kevin i just put some scales on my 8kg spin stik and stopped leaning on it before 4lb im sure it could lift a 4lb fish in the heat of the moment but for arguments sake i wasnt going to push it:(

ha, i just tried my loomis, only a 1.25L coke stopped me.:blush:

dhess wrote:

Ended up settling on an Innovator Nitro Viper 7' 2 piece 6-8kg rod. It has a ridiculous amount of power in the butt, is made of im8 graphite and is very crisp. Innovator rods also have an insurance policy similar to Loomis where you pay $60 and you have the broken piece replaced.

would you mind sharing how much the rod set you back. also any idea if that would go alright for flicking slugs aswell

dhess wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys.:)

Yes the Egrell rods are meant to be very nice but I think they are closer to $400-$500.

After going around a few tackle stores I have ended up with an outfit I think I will be happy with.

Had a long hard look at a 17lb team daiwa rod teamed up with a sol 3000 but ended up not getting it because of slightly low line capacity. Had a very good look at a pfleuger medalist rod, it was very nice but not worth $299 IMHO.

does that meam if your silly and stand onit and snap it in half they will fix or replace for 60 bucks thats pretty good

For the reel I had a difficult task deciding between a 2008 stradic 5000 and a caldia 4000. In the end the stradic won out because it was slightly more compact, $20 cheaper, more solid gearing, wind in handle and a spare spool. The caldia looked nicer as it had less gold bling on it, slightly better line capacity and was perhaps a touch lighter.

Now for the line I ended up getting up getting green 20lb sunline super PE braid. Never used this line so will be interesting to see what its like.

Add on 3 packets of plastics and some jigheads and there goes $600.:ohmy:

I felt so guilty that I ended up buying my missus a touch ipod so she wouldn't get the sh!ts with me.:laugh:

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

faulked wrote:
kevinchen19870316 wrote:
hey faulked, ur right

ha, i just tried my loomis, only a 1.25L coke stopped me.:blush:

LOL couldn't help myself, had to give it a go.. I got the forcelite bc 10 to 17lb out and tied 2L's of milk on... only just got it off the floor for about a sec :woohoo: :silly:

Noel

Archived