Watersnake for $300 at Amart

Feral

Just picked myself up a 54lb watersnake from Amart at Morayfield, Amart have them on sale starting today, $300 in their latest Catalog.

P1090138.jpg

Very happy with the price. If you want one, ring first, to make sure your chosen Amart has one.

Already rung Aaron to tell him about the sale. :)

P1090137.jpg

Don't know how well it will work with the 3/8\" chain I am going to attach it with though, after the last motor got pinched!

Can you get the electric motor to attach to the rear of the boat with a foot control?

My tinny is a 3m and has a 6hp. Can you have it at the rear with an outboard or would this not be practicle because the shaft of the electric motor would be protruding in the water when not in use. I only ask cause i dont think a 3m tinny would be stable enough to put it on the front. Or are the electrics not to heavy and would this be alright?

O.K. I am far from an expert, Feral and Ray are the ones to talk to.

Weight: The motors don't weigh much at all but the battery is the one to watch for. Some weigh 20 or 30kg.

Don't know how lbs converts to Hp but if you do a search on the forum about leccys there is heaps of info.

The only other thing I know is battery life. For a 54lb motor you will need at least a 100amp battery. A 54lb motor will use 54amp per hour if it is run at full power. A 100amp battery should give you 2 hours running time if the motor is run at full pace, more if you dont have it cranked up.

On top of the cost of the motor is.

Anderson plugs and wires $50 to $100

Battery 100amp $300

Battery Box $20

Battery Charger $150 to $300

So on top of the price of the motor it will cost around another $500 to $650 and thats if you install yourself.

Just my 2 cents.

Might be a good idea if Feral or Ray did an article for the site on leccys as lots of people have questions.;)

I answered you PM before seeing this thread, so there is a fair bit in that.

No problems running an electric besides a 6hp on the stern, Thats exactly what I do. You just tilt or lift the electric out of the water when you want to go full pelt on the outboard. I had been just leaving it in the water (my boat does not plane with the 6hp, it only does about 9kph), but as Brian managed to spin off his electric prop doing that (unwound the nut) I will be lifting it from now on. !

HP wise, a 54 is little under 0.5 of a HP. You work it our by taking the amps the motor draws multiplying it by the voltage, dividing the answer by 1000 then multiplying it by 1.34

Off course that is complicated by the fact it is the prop selected that gives the thrust, so different electrics use different amounts of power for the same thrust, but it is close enough.

I put a 44lb on my kayak on thursday, I got it from kmart on special for $249.

I have an 85 amp hour battery and got a charger from battery world for $290. This was quite a discount- if you want a discount at battery world, mention that the battery world down the road will give a discount for cash, and then mention a discount for buying both the battery and charger as well. I saved around $50 by doing this!!!

I had to put a 50 amp fuse on the red lead, but instead went for a 50 amp safety switch thingy (very electrical minded:laugh: ) from an auto electrician, this was $28

Mounting aluminium was around $30

I suggest looking at Kmart, they have 25% off regularly, but not all stores sell outboards, you need to call the number on their website

Archived