Help with electric motors

reelchippy

Larger watersnakes are salt ready, there is a smaller one that used to be fresh only, but you rarely see it for sale, was a 28 or a 33 cant remember which.

Minkotta have both fresh and salt water series.

Sportsfisher (Kmart) is fresh only, but I used mine in salt no problems, just rinse after use.

Dont know about Motorguide

Thats the most common brands around.

The Minkota's are very good quality, as are Motorguide, but they are very pricey compared to the others.

The others work fine, my sportsfisher though burnt out two controllers in the 12 months I had it, but I have not heard of them giving anyone else trouble, so must have been me!

I know plenty of blokes with the watersnakes, and they are very happy with them. Of course anyone with a 'kota is estatic, similar to someone who drive a BMW or Merc, :) You paid for a limo ride, and you got a limo ride!

One comment I would make, is that if you are only getting an electric for maneuvering (ie holding on snags etc, not for primary motor use on an electric dam) dont be afraid to go for smaller motors in the recommended range for your boat.

When I go out on the elctric lakes I have been taking 2 motors, a 54, and Ferg's 28 Evinrude (now motorguide).

The smaller motor allows for a lot lower maneuvering speed, makes a lot less noise, and is generally better suited if you just want to hold in place against a current or move very slowly.

Have a look at Minkota's or motorguides web site they have a system for showing what size electric you need for your boat and application.

Minkota motor selection guide
/>http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/motors/selectamotor.asp

Motorguide selection guide
/>http://sites.mercurymarine.com/portal/page?_pageid=125,61830&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Dont quote me, but I think I remember boats around the length of yours being suitable for a 44lb and up?

Archived