How do I rig up SP's and hardbodies?

adri4n

I've scoured the net and the forum, but I can't seem to get a proper answer on what are some of the ways to rig up SP's and hard bodies.

With Hard bodies, am I right to say that you do not use any weight with them and allow them to dive as they are designed? if so, do I tie the line straight to the hardbody?

With SP's, must I use Jig heads or can I use a sinker with them?

I'm really clueless as to how to use lures in general. I fish with bait mainly and I'm interested in trying out lure fishing. any help would be great. Also, what sort of rod would be good? I've read that some like whippy rods and others like stiffer ones, I guess that may be up to personal preference, but I really need help on how to rig up the lures. Thanks

HB- generally just tie the line straight to the lure. and that's why we need floating,suspending,slow sinking and sinking lures.

Sp- usually a jighead. but u can always use bait rigs for bass, yellas and cod. in SW, fish doesn;t tend to swallow the sp and keep it in the mouth for a long time. so jighead's the best bet.

for rods, sensitivity's the most important factor that seperate bait rods to lure rods. so i prefer stiff rods with a fast tip.

For all lures ,soft plastic and hardbody, (except for spinner baits) you must tie them on using a loop knot. Otherwise the swimming action of the lure can be badly affected.

You can use lead or other objects (see action discs in AFO shop, or paravanes etc) but for normal use, nothing.

Tie on using a knot call Lefties Loop Knot. I use this for all lures. IT ensures the swimming action of the lures remains good.

/>http://www.fishnet.com.au/flyswap/articles/connections4.html

The link shows it well.

Sometimes a stinger hook can be attatches to the SP. Its a small hook that trails the front jig head. IT help when a fish attacks the tail of your sp.

I prefer a graphite, reasonably stiff rod for casting lures.

Richard.

i like to use a light, whippy rod when i use lures- gives them more distance and you can cast a lighter weight with them further (it seems that way for me anyway) but not with too fast a taper as sometimes the action on the lures, against current or trolling, can be quite strong and you have to adjust your drag to stop losing line on the retrieve. i always use a leader with lures and plastics as well, mostly because most of my spools have braid on them but also so i can use line a little heavier than my main line so i don't get rubbed or bitten off as much.

Like I said in another post, have a look at the Shimano SSS rods from BCF. They are excellent for lure fishing and only cost $50. I have the 2 piece, 2-4kg.

For HB's if they have a split ring on the attachment point, you don't need a loop knot, if they don't have one, I use a Uni-knot. I just tighten it just before the attachment point so it makes a loop knot, but when a fish strikes, the knot tightens into a normal uni-knot. I havn't lost a fish yet.

I think I'm going to try to use my Shimano taipan 6ft rod as my lure rod and see how I feel about it. Its definitely a 'whippier' rod, but I like the feel of it and its quite sensitive, so I was thinking of trying that out first and then see if I prefer something stiffer...

I really wish I could, I was thinking I'd try to chase some flatties at nudgee beach, since I've yet to catch one :S but I've got exams coming up in 2 weeks and I really should be studying, I'm trying to do an assignment right this very moment.... :(

Brian D: why the aversion to SP's?

adri4n wrote:

I really wish I could, I was thinking I'd try to chase some flatties at nudgee beach, since I've yet to catch one :S but I've got exams coming up in 2 weeks and I really should be studying, I'm trying to do an assignment right this very moment.... :(

Brian D: why the aversion to SP's?

Nothing except my skill lets me down. I have caught heaps on SP's over the years but I am over them right now so my technique suffers, hence my catch rate is down.

Cowfish13 wrote:

Like I said in another post, have a look at the Shimano SSS rods from BCF. They are excellent for lure fishing and only cost $50. I have the 2 piece, 2-4kg.

i second that the sss rod at bcf is great - got one when i broke my squidgy spin. mine has handled one of the threaddies ive caught, pretty sure there is special combo out at bcf for $99 you get the sss 7ft and sienna and dvd. great beginner sp combo imho

Like I said I'm going to try to use my shimano taipan rod as a lure rod and see how I go, I only have a few lures, a few hardbodies and some soft plastics, where would be a good place to go and try them out? how about nudgee beach and shultz? I don't really want to go too far, just want to have a bit of a poke around....

Archived