Ciguatera Poisoning

collvan

I am a living example of the chances of getting ciga poisoning i have eaten more large spanish over 40 years or more than most people. I have never had any touches of ciga over the years but that does not rule out the chance of getting it all together if you're worried try a small amount the night before anyone else in the family has sone the next day 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If you ever catch a decent mac down deep, say bottom bashing they are usualy a stuffed fish, eating whatever they can.. ie small coral and reef fish. hence building up cigatera.

A pro fisho gave me the heads up on that and said looking closely at them they look ragged. You can tell there not healthy.

The more active fish that eat fusileers and bait species dont build up the coral poison, ciga as much. It is an accumulation of poison over time.

up north i fish pretty shallow < 20 mtrs. and nowhere near the reef. i still let anything over 20 go. Even then i reckon you may roll the dice eating between 15-20kg fish. But no issues so far.

There was a Hamish and Andy true story episode where some guys caught a big 20 - 30 kg job off south west rocks. They gave it out to a few people and they all met up in hospital that night.

So its not restricted to right up north as they travel, To be on the safe side 15kg and below i reckon  your safe so long as its not a deep water caught fish. like u got it on the bottom while fishing for reds.

Clear as mud?

On 12/11/2019 at 1:14 AM, davostephens said:

If you ever catch a decent mac down deep, say bottom bashing they are usualy a stuffed fish, eating whatever they can.. ie small coral and reef fish. hence building up cigatera.

A pro fisho gave me the heads up on that and said looking closely at them they look ragged. You can tell there not healthy.

The more active fish that eat fusileers and bait species dont build up the coral poison, ciga as much. It is an accumulation of poison over time.

up north i fish pretty shallow < 20 mtrs. and nowhere near the reef. i still let anything over 20 go. Even then i reckon you may roll the dice eating between 15-20kg fish. But no issues so far.

There was a Hamish and Andy true story episode where some guys caught a big 20 - 30 kg job off south west rocks. They gave it out to a few people and they all met up in hospital that night.

So its not restricted to right up north as they travel, To be on the safe side 15kg and below i reckon  your safe so long as its not a deep water caught fish. like u got it on the bottom while fishing for reds.

Clear as mud?

I totally disagree with your theory of Spanish that are caught on the bottom being ragged looking and ciga carriers.

We constantly catch Spanish on the bottom between 100m and 150m deep and they are beautiful conditioned fish and have never seen or heard an incidence of ciga from them.

2 hours ago, aussie123 said:

I totally disagree with your theory of Spanish that are caught on the bottom being ragged looking and ciga carriers.

We constantly catch Spanish on the bottom between 100m and 150m deep and they are beautiful conditioned fish and have never seen or heard an incidence of ciga from them.

Yeah rite.

what coastal area do you catch them 150 mtrs?

1have caught 2 off cairns in 60-70 mtrs.

On bottom. They looked bit different ( thin) to the more pelagic feeding ones. I let them go for advice and didn’t want to risk it.

But hey I’ll take your word for it.

What are you catching them on in that depth?  That’s pretty cool. Are they big/small etc.? Are you targeting them in that depth? 

This is real interesting to me. Not just the usual I caught a trout in 30 mtrs..

cheers