Reel Help - 5000 Spin.

Angus

hey everyone.

Just wanted to ask some general advice. Ill be getting a new 5000 size spin reel soon.

Purpose of this reel will be mostly river sharking and jigging from my yak in the saltwater. Point being its going to get flogged. I plan on getting a 5000 size Stradic or Twin power one day, but would also like a cheaper model that i can bash a bit without feeling to bad :P Dont get my wrong i will look after it, i just want to be riskier with it.

Anyway it will be matched with a 20kk class Phleugar rod i have been dying to use.

Cheers.

Angus

Hey Angus,

I just recently picked up a new model stradic 5000 and am pretty impressed, although I haven't had a chance to christen it yet. I have played around with it a bit and must say it is quite a big improvement on the last model which was a pretty good reel by most peoples standards.

Compared to last years model it has a wind in handle making it feel a hell of a lot more solid, more powerful drag, machined handle and more solid gearing. I had a bit of a play with the drag at home and it feels really solid and smooth.

I found it very hard to justify the extra bucks on the twin power especially since it has a slower retrieve ratio. I reckon the stradic will double nicely at chucking slugs.

Angus go to anaconda and look at the Okuma Ignite 55 Series, I have had mine for about 12mnths and probly used it 15times or so and its a really good reel for $69. It has 5ball bearings and a reasonable drag, I've caught a heap of flathead, 1 Mac Tuna and a fair few tailor and squire. Its a good alround reel for $69

Fisher_90 wrote:

Angus go to anaconda and look at the Okuma Ignite 55 Series, I have had mine for about 12mnths and probly used it 15times or so and its a really good reel for $69. It has 5ball bearings and a reasonable drag, I've caught a heap of flathead, 1 Mac Tuna and a fair few tailor and squire. Its a good alround reel for $69

Yeah cheers fisher. I will get a Stradic at some stage. But thats the kind of price range im looking at just the thrash a bit first.

Angus

The Stradic 5000 is a good option. I have the 4000 and it has taken an absolute beating. It's been soaked in saltwater from kayaking and I have forgotten to wash it down a couple of times after use offshore with Rob as I've just gone straight to bed after a long day out. It's still going strong.

I've used it in the Brisbane River on Salmon and all the by catch you get while targeting them.

Also used it spinning landbased off Straddie and offshore with Rob on countless Mack Tuna. Used it for deep water plastics work in water as deep as 65-70m. So it does get around.

After using the 4000 though I would probably prefer the 6000 as it's more all round.

I would probably stick to the older Stradic FH if you can find them. They do the job fine.

Troy

Archived