DPI&F Recreational fishing survey 2007/08

Bill74

Hi all,

Am not sure if anyones already heard about this, but the DPI is doing a recreational fishing survey over the next 12 months. They are looking for 1500 rec. fisho's around the state to log their expeiences (i.e. catches, cash spent, ramp used, etc). at present there are around 1300 spots remaining.

Seeing as the bloody EPA and Greenies want to shut us all down, I would STRONGLY encourage you all to participate. By participating you will be able to help the DPI, who actually support us in opposition to the above mentioned green eyed gits.

Your assistance will provide vital info to:

1) make assessments of how many people fish and hence how many jobs rely on this industry

2) how we sincerely look after our pastime by releasing fish, not exceeding bag limits and basically doing the right thing

3) come up with realistic and sustainable bag limits

4) help provide info re the use of ramps and boating facilities so the government can better plan and maintain these for us in the future.

And the best thing is, if your like myself and have been meaning to start a diary of your fishing experiences, they have organised it all for you!

Check out their website and follow the link to the Recreational Fishing Survey page for more details of how to join:

www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb

PS - they are also offering prizes as a little sweetener for participating

Bill74

Have a look at some of the numbers from previous surveys. It logs amounts of fish caught and those that had been released. Thats the key point because I'm thinking most of our catches are released these days...maybe...so the new figures will reflect that, and see that things are, or at least should be looking good for the fish populations anyway. This may have an impact on any future no-go zones.

whichever way you look at it it's clear that there is a big focus on recreational fishing- i guess \"they\" think that we are making an impact on fish stocks. but who are we trying to preserve fish stocks for? i thought the whole point of introducing quotas for commercial fishing was to ensure the prevalence of fish in our waters and also to create sustainable fisheries, for everyone to enjoy. i'll do the survey but it's certainly not a black and white issue, i.e do the survey and stop the no-fish zones...

Please believe there is a REAL difference between the DPI&F and the EPA; all be it they are both State Gov. organisations. The thing about the DPI&F is that they are not keen at all to support no fish zones, mainly because they don't have any resources to implement the manpower to police these zones. Consequently they need some very good data to sway the powers that be from introducing such changes.

Pats on the back to all of you that have joined up. I have just filled in my own first diary entry.

Happy fishing,

Bill74

i agree, they do not need to know where we fish. all the existing areas that people fish in will be restricted. do you want even more areas to be restricted? basically they will say that the area is being overfished and thats it (closure). they will not protect places that do not need protection, if you indicate to them that you go to a certain plance and about a 100 other people do the same, it is only logical for the EPA to protect it from overfishing.

regards

I find this very interesting. But I also find it very scarey.

I'm only a fisho that enjoys his past time/hobby. I would like to hear what someone like Schultzy has to offer on this subject. If you dont want to make it public then pm me your thoughts if you like.

No disrespect intended to the gents that have posted already. Your oppinions are valued?(spelling). I would just like to hear from someone that rubs shoulders with the both sides of the fence.;)

Jayson

I must admit im torn. I like to help out the dpi as much as possible, but the fear of my fishing information being used against me and other fishos is a bit scary.

What a shame that something as simple and enjoyable as fishing has become so politically motivated.:(

Elli, i'd like to read the forums you were talking about, where do i look for them?

Thanks ellicat i just went over them again.

Alot of food for thought, thats for sure.

Thanks for bringing it up Bill74, gives us all something to think about anyway.

I just put a request through to have the info pack sent out, and to have a hard copy dairy sent to me. That way if i decide to do it, all good. If not, i get a free fishing dairy anyway!;)

Archived