Sign in to follow this  

south queensland Quick Sesh Before It Got To Hot.

Recommended Posts

Picked up a few bass casting to the edges with my new Rodzilla rod I just perchased, before trolling down the dam to what used to be the fishing grounds. I say that as the schools have gone and its only a few scattered bass remaining. Finished up with a dozen on bait to make the numbers up to 40 bass, one tandan and one forkie. Then when the sun turned the heat up I scarpered home in time for morning tea.


Please login or register to view this attachment

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Latest Posts

  • Similar Content

    • By Andrew_P
      The bloke I sit next to at work is a mad keen spearo from the Gold Coast and just bought an old Haines V16 4.8m a few months ago. He set himself the goal to catch a marlin out of it and had 3 successful trips before Xmas, even landing a nice black solo. So hearing the bait was still thick and reports of marlin being caught we decided to go see if we could get one. Conditions were a bit ordinary on the way out following the left overs of a storm cell, but we got out and it settled down nicely. 
      We were soon joined by 20 or so other boats (some similar size to ours but no Timmy the Turtle skiffs) with different ideas about etiquette and found the bait right on the spot. Top to bottom slimies in 80m. 
      We jigged some baits and put them in our unplumbed live bait tanks (2 buckets and an old esky) and started our drifts on 8 and 10kg gear. The current was raging and even though the bait school was huge we drifted through it very quickly.  Putting back up to the spot we saw a fish going crazy  in front of a 50footer and wondered who had hooked it. No boat around the fish had the tell tale signs of panic involved with a hook up so it must have been a free jumper. Good signs!
      After almost being swamped by a courteous neighbour (think he was still learning how to drive his 8m beast) we moved and set our drift. Shortly after my mate had a run, eased the drag up and set the hook on a pp fish before the line went slack. He must’ve had a nick in his mainline as he only got back about 10m of it. 1-1-0. Spewing!
      Boats around us started hooking up and our hopes were high for another shot. To increase our chances we found a patch to our selves and dropped our livies down. The skipper had another run and eased the drag up slowly as a nice fish jumped towards the boat. I put my drag up to clear my line out of his way but there was more pressure than just the sinker. I hadn’t felt the bite (very out of touch!) but I also had a fish on and it started moving north steadily. 3-3-?  A double hookup on nice blacks! Chaos! 
      His fish was heading to NZ and mine to PNG so he offered to break his off to give me the best chance of landing one of the two. By this time I had lost half a spool of 8kg and he had managed to get his moving towards the boat. Mine started jumping a good 500m from the boat in an awesome aerial display and spat the hook. 
      Ok so now we could focus on landing his fish. I took the wheel and we went about getting some of his line back and had the fish on the surface within 10m of the boat within another 5mins. It was far bigger than we both thought (50kg?) I had only seen small black of about 20-25kg up close and this looked easily twice the size.
      He tried to coax the fish towards the boat but it didn’t like it and jumped away before going deep in protest. This was how the battle went for the next hour or so with attempts to plane the fish up, change direction on him and annoying him with the sound of engine getting him near the boat but not being able to reach the leader. About an hour and a half in my mate felt the line was scuffed (he had removed about 50m after the first break). The tip roller on his rod wasn’t spinning and the line was chafing on the sides of the roller. No good! 
      After 2 hours and 5 or so sightings near the boat he handed the rod over to me. We couldn’t up the drag due to the line chafing so I tried to short stroke it back to the boat with my fresh arms.  Any line I gained he took back (stubborn fish!) before he turned as I pumped and the pressure on the line was too much. 3-3-0. Spewing!
      I was pretty disappointed to lose his fish after so long but we had to try something to end the stalemate and the chafed line wasnt helping. We were both pretty excited to have had our chances but hopefully we can land one next time - the northerly had come up was time to head in. 
      Good to be back on the water! 

      Please login or register to view this attachment
    • By straddiebrad
      its been hard going to get livies on the grounds just east of spb anyone been out know where there hidding been there 3 times with only getting a few.
    • By Dinodadog
      I knew I had to be home early, as I had to go out for lunch. So I didnt wander to far from the ramp, insead I just had some flats fishing for bass, I was casting willie nillie ( anywhere ) in a large area that was only 6to 8ft in any direction.This was helped along with small clumps of weed here and there and this was what the bass was hiding in. They were not monsters by any means but managed 22 before she who must be obeyed rang and said dont forget we are going out for lunch.

      Please login or register to view this attachment
    • By rayke1938
      Another good one yesterday apart from getting wet feet due to my ******** decky leaving the bung out . I was too busy gassbagging at ramp to a couple of newbies in a hobie cat with a leccy on the back. Gave them a few shrimp to start with and saw that they caught a few fish when I came back in.Please login or register to view this image. Did not notice it for around 15 minutes until I pulled the first pot when there was an inch of water over the floorboards. Took around 10 minutes for both bilge pumps to clear it. I had used a couple of forkies as redclaw bait last trip and they worked well so will keep any in future instead of just donging them on the head.
      Did a bit of exploring around the no1 fad and picked up 3 bass there. They were not schooling on the fads but just cruising around around them.
      Nothing at first at a couple of normal spots but found a school of mixed fish from 20cm to 40 odd in 35 feet of water towards the far marker. Nothing doing at the far marker but the chippys ( Birds) that had their nests burrowed into the bank were not happy as their nests were submerged.
      Plenty of bass on the floats on the way back to the ramp despite there being nothing there earlier. Owen was at the ramp just launching his new rig to try out his twin stern motor set up so I culled my redclaw and gave him all the smalls.
      46 bass ( Around 16 under) and one yella.
      Decky is still suffering from toungelashing as I write this.

      Please login or register to view this attachment
    • By Luvit
      The good news is I have booked my flights to Perth for the another Kimberly adventure.
      The bad news is I have to wait till end of July before it rolls around.
      Please login or register to view this image Be there for 3-4 weeks and it will be fantastic like last time.
  • Latest Topics

  • Donate

    Please donate to support AFO. We appreciate all donations!

  • Popular Contributors

  • Upcoming Events

  • Most Liked Topic This Month

  • Random Topics

  • Newest Clubs

  • Links