Posts Gone To Quick

Dinodadog

I can not see any sense in putting up a post when nek minute you are down the page and gone after someone answers every post, no names mentioned.

A new format could stop a lot of this happening, something like 3 major headings, General,  Fishing Reports Saltwater and Fishing Reports Freshwater.

I have seen days where a fishing report goes up and then a whole heap of general posts goes up and the report goes down the page and gone.

I have been on here since 2007 and have enjoyed posting, but I think a change is overdue.

Dino

I agree - there have been responses to posts from 5-10 years ago pop up recently that push recent reports/posts down.  I enjoy reading older posts from time to time - some good memories of fishing trips past on this site - but don't respond to enable fresh activity to have it's time in the sun.

Would it be possible for inactive threads to be locked for responses after "x" time perhaps?

48 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Can do. haha sorry for being too active. 🙂

please don't be sorry @Drop Bear and we encourage you to keep loving the site 🤩

AFO has many different ways to view content. It is actually customisable to each user's preferences which some members may not be aware of. There are some standard defaults views like christophagus has pointed out, eg Latest Posts and Latest Topics. So if you don't want to see replies to old topics, just look at Latest Topics and not Latest Posts.

You can also create your own and save it.

Go to Activity > My Activity Streams > Create New Stream > Make your own 😎

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 6.18.11 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 6.18.25 pm.png

Choose the different parameters:

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 6.19.07 pm.png

In this example you can see how customisable it is:

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 6.21.50 pm.png

9 hours ago, Dinodadog said:

I can not see any sense in putting up a post when nek minute you are down the page and gone after someone answers every post, no names mentioned.

A new format could stop a lot of this happening, something like 3 major headings, General,  Fishing Reports Saltwater and Fishing Reports Freshwater.

I have seen days where a fishing report goes up and then a whole heap of general posts goes up and the report goes down the page and gone.

I have been on here since 2007 and have enjoyed posting, but I think a change is overdue.

Dino

hi @Dinodadog

We really love feedback on AFO as we are continually trying to make it a great experience for everyone. 

The structure of the AFO forum has been streamlined over the last few years. Just last month over 150,000 posts were recategorised. It isn't perfect as everything isn't 100% tagged but we are slowly working through the older posts.

There already are two main fishing categories Saltwater and Freshwater, however, just putting everything into another large category probably wouldn't help your problem. It actually may make the problem you are explaining worse as it limits the ability to filter it to just a custom stream. So there are actually ways to change this to your liking and the best thing is it is unique to your individual taste. Every member has the ability to do this. And even better they can save their favourite 'stream'  as a shortcut so it's easy to access. To do this you just need to set whichever 'stream' you want as your favourite by clicking the tick next to the stream title. see below

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 6.41.50 pm.png

The reason for this is many people use the site very differently. For example, some just like looking at Latest posts or activity, some just at the Latest topics, some are searching for specific things (eg only posts on flathead or Saratoga or in Sydney harbour) and some like looking through categories.

We have tried to make it as flexible as possible to cater for as many people as possible. That's not to say we have it right either. Anyone on AFO is welcome to make a poll and get feedback from other members on what they would like changed or fixed.

14 minutes ago, Dinodadog said:

Sorry I left school at 14 to much for me to understand. Thanks for trying though.

ok no problems. Just play around clicking the different drop down Activity menu items and you will see the different ways you can view content. The best one for you is likely to be Latest Topics 😉

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 7.06.13 pm.png

Great topic guys. 

The other thing is, we can't control how active the site is and how many posts are being posted. We love it when people get involved and we love it when there is lots of people posting. More content for everyone to read and more knowledge being shared!

If a fishing report or a favourite topic is getting lost, feel free to jump in and make a comment to keep the topic active.

I also personally like when old posts are 'rediscovered' as there is so much information on AFO and it someones take a reply from someone to bring it back to people's attention. Each to their own though 

i am a bit like Dino and just log in the way I have been logging in for years and find it hard to keep up with changes to the forum. 

When changes are made to the layout I just have to scratch my head and try to work it out as there are never any instructions posted on how to?

I was not aware that the ability on how to customise existed

It is ok for you young buggers who are computer literate but I even have a problem in remembering to put my teeth and hearing aids in of a morning.

Cheers

Ray the troglodyte

9 hours ago, AFO said:

ok no problems. Just play around clicking the different drop down Activity menu items and you will see the different ways you can view content. The best one for you is likely to be Latest Topics 😉

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 7.06.13 pm.png

Thankyou for your help once again, but I think the point I raised is being lost. Ray put up a post the other day and an hour later I went to have a look at it and it was down the front page and gone, because someone answered every post. So when someone else has a look at the site his post is not on the front page  anymore and people dont see it unless they go looking further for it,and how many will do  that.I am not just concerned about my posts its every ones post that get shot down the page and gone.

Archived