Tinny Search

Andrew_P

Hi, I'm on the search for a second hand tinny to be used for lure fishing and crabbing in the rivers and bay (mostly) and occasionally offshore in good weather. Something i can launch myself but with enough room and grunt to fish 2 up comfortably. I have a bit of experience with boats but haven't owned one since i was a teenager running around in an overpowered 3.5m rubber ducky!

Specs:

• 13-14 ft (3.9 - 4.2m)
  • vee bottom or v nose punt
  • 30hp (2 stroke is fine)
  • floor/casting decks
  • nav lights/sounder/battery
  • electric/bow mount plate for electric
  • WOT <450kg (towing with 08 corolla)

Some models that seem to fit most of the specs are Quintrex 420 Busta, Stessco 410 Catcher and Seajay 399 Creekmasta.

A couple of questions:

• are there any makes recommended or to steer clear of?
  • would a vee bottom or a vee nose punt be better if i'm mainly in the rivers and estuaries?
  • what price am i looking at for a good second hand tinny with these specs?
  • what should i look out for when inspecting?
  • can anyone recommend a towbar place on the southside?

I've had a look on Gumtree and Boatsales and there seems to be a few around. My mate suggested Market Place but I'm not on Facebook so dont have access to it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Andrew

if you want to fish bay or offshore scratch the v-nose punt and get a v-hull with fairly high sides.  with the bay chop a punt will be extremely uncomfortable and will place a lot of stress on the hull.  They aren't designed for choppy waters.

regarding towbar - speedy towbars at slack creek do haymans reece products, they did my old car and the old mans old car and were pretty good.  that was a fair while ago now, not even sure if they still exist.

look for any signs of electrolysis in the bottom of the hull.  check trailer over thoroughly for rust.  as far as the engine goes, run it at a variety of rev ranges and make sure water pumps through and there is no mis-fires or similar.  check gears engage and disengage smoothly.  check under the cowling for any signs of saltwater ingress or corrosion.  without getting a mechanic to go over it in detail it is hard to know for sure but the old addage of if in doubt walk away definitely applies.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys for your tips. The search has been on for a few weeks now and anything decent second hand seems to be almost as expensive as new. So i've started looking at new boat specs to see what suits. Have learnt a lot about where certain brands are made (even heard of at least two well known brands of boats and trailers being made offshore now). Pretty impressed by the SeaJays but another boat that has come up is Aquamaster - does anyone on here have one? or had a ride in one? The 4.2 looks like it would be a great little tinny.

Any info good/bad welcome - PM me if you don't want to post.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2019 at 10:20 AM, Andrew_P said:

Hi, I'm on the search for a second hand tinny to be used for lure fishing and crabbing in the rivers and bay (mostly) and occasionally offshore in good weather. Something i can launch myself but with enough room and grunt to fish 2 up comfortably. I have a bit of experience with boats but haven't owned one since i was a teenager running around in an overpowered 3.5m rubber ducky!

Specs:

• 13-14 ft (3.9 - 4.2m)
  • vee bottom or v nose punt
  • 30hp (2 stroke is fine)
  • floor/casting decks
  • nav lights/sounder/battery
  • electric/bow mount plate for electric
  • WOT <450kg (towing with 08 corolla)

Some models that seem to fit most of the specs are Quintrex 420 Busta, Stessco 410 Catcher and Seajay 399 Creekmasta.

A couple of questions:

• are there any makes recommended or to steer clear of?
  • would a vee bottom or a vee nose punt be better if i'm mainly in the rivers and estuaries?
  • what price am i looking at for a good second hand tinny with these specs?
  • what should i look out for when inspecting?
  • can anyone recommend a towbar place on the southside?

I've had a look on Gumtree and Boatsales and there seems to be a few around. My mate suggested Market Place but I'm not on Facebook so dont have access to it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Andrew

Hey mate sounds like you should try and win the prize at the Wynnum Fishing Classic. 

https://www.ozfishmoretonbay.org/wynnum-fishing-classic-2019

On 04/03/2019 at 11:52 AM, Andrew_P said:

Thanks guys for your tips. The search has been on for a few weeks now and anything decent second hand seems to be almost as expensive as new. So i've started looking at new boat specs to see what suits. Have learnt a lot about where certain brands are made (even heard of at least two well known brands of boats and trailers being made offshore now). Pretty impressed by the SeaJays but another boat that has come up is Aquamaster - does anyone on here have one? or had a ride in one? The 4.2 looks like it would be a great little tinny.

Any info good/bad welcome - PM me if you don't want to post.

Andrew

Hey @Andrew_P. I own a 4.35 Sea Jay Territory (I think the new models are 4.4?). It is a well built little tinny that has served me well for 13 years and has everything you are looking for. Looks like you are Brisbane based and I am happy to take you out so you can have a bit of a play with it if you like. Mine has a 40hp yammie 2 stroke but if I had my time over I would have gone for a 4 stroke for range and noise reasons.

A mate had a 4.2 Busta and that was also a good little unit. 

Why does everybody always say -

’The downside is, it has a two stroke’

I’m sure that several years ago boaters didn’t walk around saying ‘oh I wish someone would invent 4 stroke outboards cause I dislike 2 strokes. 

They are and always will be a good motor - yes more fuel but that has always been the same. 

Just my thoughts

• 3 weeks later...

Archived