Yaks pedal power or paddle or both

Gazza

i have a hobie outback with the peddles i find it handled 2 foot swell with another person sitting on the back pretty fine with just peddaling.

you can do both at once for a bit of speed but you just upgrade the fins to the ST or TURBO fins if you wnat more speed,

and the hands free things is by far the best benefit good for peddaling away from snags when you hook up.

Gazza wrote:

No jokes on this one

Reason would have it pedal power would have the edge as in stealth and also hands free

But in rougher conditions paddling would be more suitable

IMO I would have thought that having the abillity to do both would make the best yak :pinch:

Gaz

I'm with you gaz, having the ability to both paddle and peddle surely beats only one option. I've owned a hobie for a couple of years now, and ONLY paddle when it's too shallow for the fins underneath to not touch bottom.

IMO putting down a paddle to deal with a striking fish etc would be a major PITA. :)

Chris

pedals would make a huge difference. When I'm yakking I have to have an anchor ready to go at all times and have to drop it whilst fighting fish. Otherwise the wind will blow you into an overhanging tree or something. Being able to pedal out into open water would also help keep a few fish as you could lead them out there easier and therefore keep them away from snags. That said having the paddle clipped on the side would be a great back up or just the option. Using a paddle is good for exercising your upper body if you are into fitness and all that.

Archived