Identification Please - Flounder?

Kat

Hey Kat

Yep, that sure is a flounder. You find them on sand bars, and they are like flatties in the way that they lie down on sand bars and ambush their bait.

I don't know the exact size, but I think they get a bit over thirty centimetres. My biggest ever was 32cm out of the Pine River, and they taste bloomin' good too! 

Here is a NSW DPI link on them with some helpful characteristics - 

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/fish-species/species-list/flounder

They have no size limit in QLD but do have a bag limit of twenty. (I am happy to be corrected though).

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Cheers Hamish.  Yes I remember my Dad used to catch them off the mangrove flats in Auckland when I was a little one - I remember they taste great.  I am surprised I caught one as I havent heard any of the local fishos mention them at all? I am wondering if I could get bigger ones here too.  Hooked up five fish today but only two were legal size. 3 Bream, 1 Flathead and the baby flounder.  Had a great day though.

Yeah it sure is a flounder .i sometimes catch them when fishing for flathead . There the worst though cause the chew and bite your lures up one time I fishing and every cast i was getting bites and losing parts of my plastic after going through a plastic or 2 I finally hooked it . It Was a flounder I’ve only hooked small ones 

Hey Kat

Despite their seemingly good fighting and excellent eating qualities, they seem to be over looked a lot compared to your typical bread and butter species (which are things such as bream, whiting, flathead - basically estuary species). 

I'm sure you'll be able to hook one eventually as they should be there. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

1 minute ago, Another Wazza said:

Congratulations Kat!, like all great fishos it seems you’ve mastered the art of making the fish in the photo look bigger then it actually is 😂, it can take some people years to perfect this illusion, It’s a shame he wasn’t bigger though, they’re pretty tasty😋

Just ask a Southsider how to do it. They are experts.

6 minutes ago, Another Wazza said:

Congratulations Kat!, like all great fishos it seems you’ve mastered the art of making the fish in the photo look bigger then it actually is 😂, it can take some people years to perfect this illusion, It’s a shame he wasn’t bigger though, they’re pretty tasty😋

Lol

Serious fake new in this article... but has some good pictures of them.

https://m.northernstar.com.au/news/rare-poisonous-fish-caught-off-lennox-head-beach/3128487/

A) not poisonous (or venomous for that matter)

B) not rare, just rarely caught

C) not a deep sea species at all

D) do not believe the stuff about being electric is correct either. Will research further.

Here’s what grants guide has to say

DBC6A9DF-45FE-4038-99B1-D8448BFDD153.thumb.jpeg.a25fe7a3c97a2544ebd64e09ad3f28d2.jpeg