Lowrance Hook Screen Black. Help!

Ryannnnnnnn

Hey, 

Went to go out on the boat last night and the screen on my Lowrance hook2 7 tripleshot is not working, it's completely black. 

Now I now these have a reputation for turning on with night mode on, or the brightness set to 0, but the screen is literally black. I've had the brightness issue before, and know how to turn the brightness up using the power button. If I shine a torch on the screen I can very very vaguely see the unit On as I can see sonar etc, but not enough to go into settings or anything like that (it's too dark) . I was able to make sure the brightness was all the way up and that night mode was off, by shining a torch on the screen.

I have tried a different battery and unplugged and plugged the cords into the unit with no success. 

Any ideas?? Definitely not the brightness level settings.

Yeah will do ellicat. We think it's a back-light issue. Have been advised the standard process is the unit has to be sent off to Lowrance which can take 2 to 8 weeks. Very unfortunate that I could be stuck without a sounder for that long. If it's going to take a while I might have to think about temporarily installing an old Garmin 4inch striker. Just don't fancy drilling more holes just for temporary use. ☹️

I haven't been very happy with my Lowrance to be honest. Will freeze up at times or the scroll speed will just default to something super flow and I need to restart it. 

What has everyone else's experience been with Lowrance? Got a new boat coming and it comes with a elite ti2. Tempted to upgrade to hds but am wondering if I would want to jump ship altogether. 

I am really happy with my Garmin. It has a great screen and is easy to use. Still trying (but not too hard) to get the most out of the side screen function. I hav3 never owned a Lowrance so can’t really compare the two, but I have noticed on other people’s boats that the Lowrance touch screen seems to really hate wet fingers, which is less of a problem on the Garmin. From my research, they are both good brands so maybe look to see who has the best price when you are ready to buy. You may have just been unlucky with your unit.

4 hours ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

Yeah will do ellicat. We think it's a back-light issue. Have been advised the standard process is the unit has to be sent off to Lowrance which can take 2 to 8 weeks. Very unfortunate that I could be stuck without a sounder for that long. If it's going to take a while I might have to think about temporarily installing an old Garmin 4inch striker. Just don't fancy drilling more holes just for temporary use. ☹️

I haven't been very happy with my Lowrance to be honest. Will freeze up at times or the scroll speed will just default to something super flow and I need to restart it. 

What has everyone else's experience been with Lowrance? Got a new boat coming and it comes with a elite ti2. Tempted to upgrade to hds but am wondering if I would want to jump ship altogether. 

I had lowrance and switched. 

Happy to PM the details but it's along the lines of what you are experiencing. 

I personally use garmin. 

I rate them high. Easy to use. Good allround units. 

On 21/09/2020 at 12:49 PM, Ryannnnnnnn said:

I gave Lowrance the flick years ago. Have since been a Garmin man and they have never let me down. Currently running a Garmin 75dv with thru-hull transducer

So I've talked with Lowrance and they are going to offer me a Lowrance elite ti2 12 inch combo for only $870 which I thought was very reasonable. 

I tried to get them to offer something decent on a 12 inch hds live, but what they came back with was more expensive than Bcf. 

Was keen on a hds live for obvious reasons I couldn't pass up getting the elite ti2 12 inch for only $870 as opposed to the 12 inch hds live for over $4000. 

I have 2nd boat getting built which comes with a 7 inch elite ti2, so I'll move forward with that then once the 12 inch arrives I'll fit the 12 on the bigger boat then put the 7 on the little boat.

The Lowrance 5 year advantage program worked on me to keep me a as a Lowrance customer. 

15 hours ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

So I've talked with Lowrance and they are going to offer me a Lowrance elite ti2 12 inch combo for only $870 which I thought was very reasonable. 

I tried to get them to offer something decent on a 12 inch hds live, but what they came back with was more expensive than Bcf. 

Was keen on a hds live for obvious reasons I couldn't pass up getting the elite ti2 12 inch for only $870 as opposed to the 12 inch hds live for over $4000. 

I have 2nd boat getting built which comes with a 7 inch elite ti2, so I'll move forward with that then once the 12 inch arrives I'll fit the 12 on the bigger boat then put the 7 on the little boat.

The Lowrance 5 year advantage program worked on me to keep me a as a Lowrance customer. 

Whoa nice work. That will be awesome. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I went out to my boat today, as you do, turned the Lowrance HDS live on and the touch screen won’t work. In fact the only button that does work is the power on/off button. It comes up to the introductory message screen but when I press the ‘accept’ area  on the screen it just grays out and locks up. The  power button is also the settings button so when I press it briefly the settings screen comes up but then that is locked also and the screen won’t respond at all. So basically, all I can do is switch the unit on and off. Very bloody helpful when I’ve organised a trip for tomorrow. I know it’s a forlorn hope but does anyone have any suggestions. Looks like I’ll have to ring Lowrance when I get back tomorrow. 

Okay. It tried that. Unscrewed the three plugs on the back and they’re drier than the driest place on earth after an extended drought. Didn’t leave them off for a minute but I had the power to the batteries turned off at the time anyway so can’t see that a minute would make any difference. Tried with the isolator switch turned to one battery then the other. Makes no difference. Sigh. Thanks for your help anyway Brian.

So Greg, you seem to have the same issue that Ryannnnnnn had with his, does not speak well for Lowrance gear! There is another thing you might want to try but it's a longshot, go out to the boat when it's dark and see if it is a brightness setting, if it is you might be able to see the screen menus at night and change it back,   personally I don't like your chances but it is worth a go.

Cheers

Ed.

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

Plenty of juice in the battery?

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

So Greg, you seem to have the same issue that Ryannnnnnn had with his, does not speak well for Lowrance gear! There is another thing you might want to try but it's a longshot, go out to the boat when it's dark and see if it is a brightness setting, if it is you might be able to see the screen menus at night and change it back,   personally I don't like your chances but it is worth a go.

Cheers

Ed.

2 hours ago, ellicat said:

Corrosion won't know its age. lol

They're probably alright but it was just a thought. Like the IT department would say - unplug it for a minute and then plug back in and reboot. Works 90% of the time.

I fixed it! Can’t believe it. Anyway, it ended up being as simple as scrolling to the bottom of the opening message BEFORE hitting ‘accept’. Works fine then but if you accept before viewing all the message, it just freezes and locks up. How dumb is that? I wouldn’t mind if the message was something like ‘Danger, Danger, Will Robinson!’ but it’s a welcome screen really. Thanks for all suggestions boys. As Basil Fawlty would say ‘For the first time in my life I’ve had a win, Polly!’.

17 minutes ago, Ed. said:

Come on where is the positive attitude? We have great faith in you!  Wait.... I may have had a bit too much wine! 🤣 No seriously though, the wind and sea shouldn't be too bad and just after lunch time  should be the best time to catch a fish, go for it.

I have got a positive attitude. It’s just that the fish seem to have a different idea. But I’m going out with a gun fisherman tomorrow so hopes are high.

On 15/11/2020 at 6:31 PM, Ed. said:

And it will be a nice day out there so enjoy the ambiance! I have about 10 days left of cleaning up a section of my backyard in the heat and humidity so being out there on a boat has got to be better than that even if you don't snag one.

You must have a bloody big backyard if it’s ten+ days to clean up a section of it! Anyway, there’s some cooler days on the way so you’ll get a bit of a respite.