Trolling paravanes for macs

davostephens

Dunno them. I actually used a home made one that a guy sells thru tackle world Cairns. I towed this bastard to weipa and back about 15 times doin 10-12 knots with a smith jig behind it. Cargo ship fishing with chord and bungee. Never missed a beat. The one in the photo is just for the Idea/Pic. I have only used this style in the photo. And they troll easy on a TLD 25 and 15 kg rod with 15 kg line. My only issue with what i use is wtih big baits the ring can slide and trip. So I rubber band it to stop this. If a fish hits the rubber band snaps and the paravane trips. I only use a small one on a rod. The weight is about a 4oz bean sinker.

Just looked at the yamashita. I dunno. Looks gimicky.

These stainless ones are pretty indestructable. Like I said I put one thru a few thousand miles.

There are a few youtube vids of the Yanks using them on rods n reels trolling 10 knots. Have a look there. They call it planer fishing. Pro mac fishos up gulf way use them on chordlines with Gar wogheads. Very versatile. Slow trolled as they have lead on em you could run them pretty deep if you need to. Yamashita would be depth limited as no lead.

2 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

@Drop Bear the Makka ones that Lance sold are stainless metal like this - can't recall if they have the sinker weight on them though. You'd have to think around 'the Group' and Pt Lookout area would work well doing this. Wonder how dart from Boat Rock would work?

Trevally from boat rock would be awesome. 

6 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

@Drop Bear the Makka ones that Lance sold are stainless metal like this - can't recall if they have the sinker weight on them though. You'd have to think around 'the Group' and Pt Lookout area would work well doing this. Wonder how dart from Boat Rock would work?

I have one of the stainless ones that Lance sold. Any of you guys are welcome to borrow it if you want to try it out before you buy one.

@davostephens, thanks for the tips. Can you please explain how you attach the rubber band?