Mud Crabbing Tips?

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi all

One weekend in the near future, I plan to put out some pots from the yak, in the Brisbane River. To maximise my chance at a crab or two, I have a few questions which I'd really appreciate some feedback on.

1. So, first of all, I've read that it can be iffy to eat out of the river (crabs, because they absorb all the toxins). I've also read, I think I recall @Drop Bear saying, that they only goes to the mustard or guts of the crab? So do you guys think I'll end up getting food poisoning from them or I'll be right? Surely once in a while would be fine?

2. In general, I've read feeder creek entrances, drains, a deep embankment, mangroves, or any structure like that is good. I think I will avoid putting pots near any jetties, as I don't know how they'd go for someone wanting to pinch them.... So any tips on general structure for the crabs?

3. I'm thinking I'll just use chicken or mullet, depending on which is cheapest, as bait. Obviously, I would love to use something I'd caught... So maybe the next time I'm at Colmslie I'd keep herring for crab bait.

4. I think the correct way to clean a crab is to rip the shell off, then rip it in half/quarters, clean all the bad bits out, then it's cooking ready? Dad is trying to tell me it's just in a shell, but I've heard otherwise...

5. Is it better to soak them all day or all night (the crab pot), or work them every couple of hours? I was thinking we could put them in one evening, have a thready fish, then have a flatty fish and collect them in the morning? 

Sorry for all the Q's. Crabbing has just been something I've always liked the idea of 🙂

Cheers Hamish

I clean all crabs before cooking. Muddies or sandies.

After a decent fresh like we are getting, the mud crabs tend to get flushed out of the creeks and shallower bits as the don’t like the fresh water. Salt water being heavier sits in the deeper parts of the system under the fresher stuff on top. So it is better to drop your pots in deeper areas but not far from “ideal habitat”.

bait - I prefer chicken frames for muddies but mullet frames work. Fresh bait is a must. If it stinks, chuck it and start again.

i like to check reasonably regularly (approx 2 hours) if I’m on the water but everyone is different here. I have certainly left them in overnight at different times.

one thing to note - if putting pots in deep water make sure you have enough rope and enough weight to hold them in place. Use a brick if need be as an extra weight.

Hello Hamish, 

Some good advice there already esp. from @benno573 on water layers.  My son and I crabbed quite a bit (before we got a boat that's painted!) in your neck of the woods, we found rocky ground was productive - or just off rocky ground.  There'll be a heap of debris in the river after the rain - regular checking is a good idea as they tend to move if light.  The Seventeen Mile Rocks rock bar and a bit further up - just downstream of the Jindalee bridge on the northern side, is a rocky area that's produced, as well, the river side of Hazelmere Parade is also worth a try - but keep your eye on your pots there as the current can be strong.

Good luck!

Rusty

17 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi all

One weekend in the near future, I plan to put out some pots from the yak, in the Brisbane River. To maximise my chance at a crab or two, I have a few questions which I'd really appreciate some feedback on.

1. So, first of all, I've read that it can be iffy to eat out of the river (crabs, because they absorb all the toxins). I've also read, I think I recall @Drop Bear saying, that they only goes to the mustard or guts of the crab? So do you guys think I'll end up getting food poisoning from them or I'll be right? Surely once in a while would be fine?

2. In general, I've read feeder creek entrances, drains, a deep embankment, mangroves, or any structure like that is good. I think I will avoid putting pots near any jetties, as I don't know how they'd go for someone wanting to pinch them.... So any tips on general structure for the crabs?

3. I'm thinking I'll just use chicken or mullet, depending on which is cheapest, as bait. Obviously, I would love to use something I'd caught... So maybe the next time I'm at Colmslie I'd keep herring for crab bait.

4. I think the correct way to clean a crab is to rip the shell off, then rip it in half/quarters, clean all the bad bits out, then it's cooking ready? Dad is trying to tell me it's just in a shell, but I've heard otherwise...

5. Is it better to soak them all day or all night (the crab pot), or work them every couple of hours? I was thinking we could put them in one evening, have a thready fish, then have a flatty fish and collect them in the morning? 

Sorry for all the Q's. Crabbing has just been something I've always liked the idea of 🙂

Cheers Hamish

Hey mate,

This is what I do.

1. I eat crabs and fish from the river.
  2. You are right about the spots but after all this rain try the deeper holes too. 
  3. Any fresh meat is good. I like chicken frames but only because they are cheap and accessible. If you find the right butcher you can get them for about .50c each and you can get 2 baits from that. 
  4. No cook the crabs whole then clean them. The rest of the world loves the flavours of the mustard etc inside the crab but here in Australia there is (OMHO) a terrible practice of cleaning the crabs before you cook them. All the crab flavour gets washed/cooked out and you just get a salty flavour. The only exception to this is if you cook chilli or pepper mud crab where you clean the crabs and cook the whole lot in the sauce. In these cases I like to put all the mustard from the crabs into the sauce and it truly makes it a full flavoured dish. Be sure to always take out the gills as they are inedible and I believe contain toxins. 
  5. If you have the time, work the pots every hour or so. Make sure you put fresh baits in and don't dump the old baits in the water as the crabs may just eat them and not go into your pot. Crabs can get into a pot in a few mins and they can get out of your pot too. Also if you have a big buck in the pot it can stop other bucks going in. I normally don't do this as I am lazy/time poor and I leave them overnight.
  6. I think you know by now that this forum lives and dies on good questions (and a few reports). Never stop asking. 🙂

16 hours ago, Kat said:

Definitely clean them. But not how you have described!  Really good videos on YouTube showing how.  Pretty easy once you have done it once.  Have a toothbrush or something handy to get rid of all the yellow bits of gutz!

Thanks Kat. I'll check some videos out soon.

15 hours ago, benno573 said:

I clean all crabs before cooking. Muddies or sandies.

After a decent fresh like we are getting, the mud crabs tend to get flushed out of the creeks and shallower bits as the don’t like the fresh water. Salt water being heavier sits in the deeper parts of the system under the fresher stuff on top. So it is better to drop your pots in deeper areas but not far from “ideal habitat”.

bait - I prefer chicken frames for muddies but mullet frames work. Fresh bait is a must. If it stinks, chuck it and start again.

i like to check reasonably regularly (approx 2 hours) if I’m on the water but everyone is different here. I have certainly left them in overnight at different times.

one thing to note - if putting pots in deep water make sure you have enough rope and enough weight to hold them in place. Use a brick if need be as an extra weight.

Hi Benno

Thanks for the great tips! Much appreciated. 

I will make sure I put pots out a bit longer than usual, and I'll tie an extra float (milk bottle), extra bit of rope, and chuck a paver in with my pot. 

5 hours ago, RustyHooka said:

Hello Hamish, 

Some good advice there already esp. from @benno573 on water layers.  My son and I crabbed quite a bit (before we got a boat that's painted!) in your neck of the woods, we found rocky ground was productive - or just off rocky ground.  There'll be a heap of debris in the river after the rain - regular checking is a good idea as they tend to move if light.  The Seventeen Mile Rocks rock bar and a bit further up - just downstream of the Jindalee bridge on the northern side, is a rocky area that's produced, as well, the river side of Hazelmere Parade is also worth a try - but keep your eye on your pots there as the current can be strong.

Good luck!

Rusty

Hey Rusty

Right, so I know where that is - it's everywhere! I reckon it'd be a bit deeper there to so may produce quite well taken from other tips. Jindalee Bridge is a bit far for us (and I'm guessing you know where my Spot X is, Lol), and we normally like to go down towards the next bridge. I think I will put one pot in near a feeder creek which I have caught a bit at (not crabs), one near a rock bar, and one near Hazlemere Parade. I'll just make sure it's out of sight from any jetty owners as I don't want my pots pinched...

Thanks for the great tips. 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey mate,

This is what I do.

1. I eat crabs and fish from the river.
  2. You are right about the spots but after all this rain try the deeper holes too. 
  3. Any fresh meat is good. I like chicken frames but only because they are cheap and accessible. If you find the right butcher you can get them for about .50c each and you can get 2 baits from that. 
  4. No cook the crabs whole then clean them. The rest of the world loves the flavours of the mustard etc inside the crab but here in Australia there is (OMHO) a terrible practice of cleaning the crabs before you cook them. All the crab flavour gets washed/cooked out and you just get a salty flavour. The only exception to this is if you cook chilli or pepper mud crab where you clean the crabs and cook the whole lot in the sauce. In these cases I like to put all the mustard from the crabs into the sauce and it truly makes it a full flavoured dish. Be sure to always take out the gills as they are inedible and I believe contain toxins. 
  5. If you have the time, work the pots every hour or so. Make sure you put fresh baits in and don't dump the old baits in the water as the crabs may just eat them and not go into your pot. Crabs can get into a pot in a few mins and they can get out of your pot too. Also if you have a big buck in the pot it can stop other bucks going in. I normally don't do this as I am lazy/time poor and I leave them overnight.
  6. I think you know by now that this forum lives and dies on good questions (and a few reports). Never stop asking. 🙂

Hi Robbie

Big thanks for the advice. I figure I'll be right eating from the river. I will stuff my pots full of chicken for maximum bait, and maybe keep a bit too, if I check the pot a couple of times. Hopefully I can report back with some success when we next go out.

Cheers Hamish