Places around Brisbane to shuck/find oysters?

JMW21

Would anyone know of any places around the Redlands and Brisbane area where low tides provide access to catching/shucking fresh oysters? Don't currently have a boat so only looking for places to access by foot. I was thinking of walking out to King Island at Wellington Point, but before I do, are there any other obvious places?

Cheers James

1 hour ago, JMW21 said:

Would anyone know of any places around the Redlands and Brisbane area where low tides provide access to catching/shucking fresh oysters? Don't currently have a boat so only looking for places to access by foot. I was thinking of walking out to King Island at Wellington Point, but before I do, are there any other obvious places?

Cheers James

Hey James. 

There are plenty of places where oysters grow but I have not seen many on King island. 

In Manly the areas around Rose Bay have good areas of oysters that are pretty easy to access at low tide.

The rock wall on Wynnum Creek has a load but a bit tricky to climb down to. 

There are heaps around Dunwich on Stradbroke island. 

I saw some near Victoria point but I don't know that area very well so don't want to recommend sorry but if you are from near there I am sure you could find some. 

Just a note.  You may be aware of this but there are lots of laws around taking shellfish in Moreton Bay. Most shellfish are no-take but Oysters are ok but... you are not aloud to take oysters away from where you shuck them. You must consume them as you shuck em. 

The only other mollusc you can take are pipis but numbers are limited. 

In saying that I hope you find a stack and I hope you enjoy your feed.

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey James. 

There are plenty of places where oysters grow but I have not seen many on King island. 

In Manly the areas around Rose Bay have good areas of oysters that are pretty easy to access at low tide.

The rock wall on Wynnum Creek has a load but a bit tricky to climb down to. 

There are heaps around Dunwich on Stradbroke island. 

I saw some near Victoria point but I don't know that area very well so don't want to recommend sorry but if you are from near there I am sure you could find some. 

Just a note.  You may be aware of this but there are lots of laws around taking shellfish in Moreton Bay. Most shellfish are no-take but Oysters are ok but... you are not aloud to take oysters away from where you shuck them. You must consume them as you shuck em. 

The only other mollusc you can take are pipis but numbers are limited. 

In saying that I hope you find a stack and I hope you enjoy your feed.

Thanks Drop Bear you're a legend. I reckon I'll check out the Manly area as that is close by to me, and go from there. I did do a bit of research into the rules and I am aware of the eat it where to find it legislation, thanks for the heads up though!