Changing an impeller

obone

Hey all!

I have a 60hp Mercury outboard and the impeller always needs changing after accidentally sucking up sand from Moreton or silt from the river etc.

Again today I looked at the water cooling jet thing out of the motor and it is running at about half strenght again :angry: only a month after a major service.

So does anyone know if changing the impller is a big job? Would it be easy enough to follow an internet guide as to how to do it, rather than lugging it back to the service place? I have a fair understanding of the motor and pretty much understand what everything does and how it works, but i've never done any 'self repairs'.

Thanks guys,Joel ;)

obone wrote:

Hey all!

I have a 60hp Mercury outboard and the impeller always needs changing after accidentally sucking up sand from Moreton or silt from the river etc.

Again today I looked at the water cooling jet tell-tail thing out of the motor and it is running at about half strength again :angry: only a month after a major service.

So does anyone know if changing the impller is a big job? Would it be easy enough to follow an internet guide as to how to do it, rather than lugging it back to the service place? I have a fair understanding of the motor and pretty much understand what everything does and how it works, but i've never done any 'self repairs'.

Thanks guys,

Joel ;)

it would take a fair bit of sand to wear the impellor out!

i suck up sand all the time and still only do impellor changes every 50-100hrs .

im thinking you mite have another problem like something simple such as the pisser is half blocked or the thermostats are only opening slightly therefor trapping sand and gritt?

or if it is always happening after each impellor replacement then it could be a pin hole in the main delivery shaft resulting in poor pressure after very little use?

but to answer your question is it a big job? well no not at all it is very ezy and only takes an hr or less to complete the entire job!

i recomend to replace the impellor housing aswell to get extra peace of mind for a few extra bucks!

if you are not very good with mechenical stuff i would also recomend a workshop manual !

goodluck hope this helps?

Ian.

Archived