Yamaha Trim Motor issue - Anyone attempted DIY repair of trim motors / trim cylinders?

Hweebe

I encountered an issue with my 2012 Yamaha Outboard motor trim which stopped working. Here is how i went about troubleshooting it.

Symptoms: Trimmed motor full up on tilt lock mechanism. 5 mins later trim up / trim down no longer working.

Clicking the trim button up or down resulted in a click sound (of a relay) but no sound or movement of the trim motor

1) Check battery voltage - Ok - ruled out

2) Check trim cylinder lubricant - Low / topped up - ruled out however may have an issue with the o-ring seal on the trim cylinder leaking lube.

3) Check trim relay with a voltmeter - Confirmed +12v and -12v on the blue / green wires into the relay - Relay is good

4) This sounds silly but few taps of the trim motor with a mallet and the Hooray Trim up / down back working - saw this trick on Youtube.

All things point to a dying Trim motor. Question is whether I source the part and replace myself? Will also need to replace the trim cylinder o-ring seal that is leaking however a special tool is required Cylinder-end screw wrench 90890-06568

Anyone attempted DIY repair of trim motors / trim cylinders?

Well, I personally live by the standard of...

Give it a crack and when all else fails, ask for help. 

So far I have done pretty well, however I do consider myself to be mechanically minded. 

If you're mechanically minded then I say go for it. 

The shop knows how they go back together, and you wouldn't be the first. Also, if you tinker in that side of life then what have you to lose?

You will come out smarter with either conclusion. 

Thanks @Junky this guys does a pretty good video of the repair/rebuild. Walks through it step by step.

I consider myself mechanically oriented with self servicing my cars, however I think mentally there is difference for me with being stuck on the side of the road versus stuck somewhere in Moreton Bay....I'm with coast guard however there is something unerving about being stranded at sea versus on land.

Given this is only the trim and you can manually adjust the trim (albiet its a fair bit of weight) I'm going to give it a crack. Like you say if it doesn't work out its off to the boat shop.

By the way I've got one quote of $600-$695 for the trim. Definitely going to give this a go for the cost of same orings/gaskets and some lube.

• 3 months later...

Hey @bigkingie

It was a mission but my trim and tilt is now working again. Opened it all up / hydraulic fluid everywhere. I pulled it all apart and replaced the seals exactly per the video below

I got lucky as this is the exact same tilt and trim unit as mine.

Replaced the outer seals where there was obvious fluid weeping / leaking and the same inner seals as per this video.

Whilst i had the unit on the bench I also refurbed the trim motor (brake cleaner to remove internal dust)

Glad to say its all worked out. 

The only thing i did different to this video was extend some cables from my trim relay to the bench so that i could bleed the air out more easily and not cause so much static is this guy.

Thanks @bigkingie it was either I do it myself or I paying quotes for refurb / replacement varying from $1k and above using aftermarket parts (OEM Yamaha tilt and trim would have cost even more) I figured If I stuffed it, it was just the cost of seals and hydraulic fluid.

Lesson for me is to keep the trim rams nice and clean after each fishing session.