AUS-BNE-FISHO

nice one mate.

just a note - the "fingermark" you got in the causeway is actually a moses perch / moses snapper.  legal size of these is 25cm.  While a common local name for them is "fingermark", they differ from the true fingermark (better known as a golden snapper) in being predominately red coloured.  I'm not sure if that makes your causeway lake trip more successful given you did land a legal fish after all? 😛

P.S. - well worth trying off the rocks directly under the singing ship up there too mate.

10 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Good read well done.

Thanks Ray.

3 hours ago, Angry51 said:

Good onya Hamish, that's how to spend your holidays.

Bugger about the wind though.

Good read, thanks.🙂

Thankyou Angry.

1 hour ago, benno573 said:

nice one mate.

just a note - the "fingermark" you got in the causeway is actually a moses perch / moses snapper.  legal size of these is 25cm.  While a common local name for them is "fingermark", they differ from the true fingermark (better known as a golden snapper) in being predominately red coloured.  I'm not sure if that makes your causeway lake trip more successful given you did land a legal fish after all? 😛

P.S. - well worth trying off the rocks directly under the singing ship up there too mate.

Thanks Benno. So the main difference between the two is the colouration? 
I was planning to try a couple more spots on the trip, like that one, but I ended up running out of time. I will definitely give it a crack the next time I’m up there though. 
Cheers Hamish 

On 14/04/2022 at 6:29 PM, Neil Stratford said:

Nice Fingermark , well done ,

regards

Neil

Thank you Neil.

22 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Some fun sessions there Hamish and a bit of variety including a cracking fingermark that you don't catch down here, well done!

Thanks KM. I was certainly happy to catch a new species.

Cheers Hamish

22 hours ago, TheCharliefisho said:

Nice one hambo

Thanks. 

14 hours ago, Junky said:

Nice fish Hamish.

Great species to tick off the list, and at that size it is definitely one to remember. 

And @GregN70says there are no fish at Yeppoon. 

Southsiders don't seem to have a problem catching them. 😜

Thanks Junky. Yes, I am very happy with it as my first Fingermark. Apparently there are a few in the area so hopefully when I'm up next I'll be able to catch another. 

On 17/04/2022 at 6:02 AM, Junky said:

Nice fish Hamish.

Great species to tick off the list, and at that size it is definitely one to remember. 

And @GregN70says there are no fish at Yeppoon. 

Southsiders don't seem to have a problem catching them. 😜

Nice, catch. That's more than i've caught here in 4 years.

Must have put some huge hours in to find all them ?

24 minutes ago, GregN70 said:

All day every day?

There's not much more effort to give than that.

(I should have said I always came home for lunch for a couple of hours each time, lol. It didn’t seem a whole lot was biting in the midday hours though).
Greg, I would say there’s a pretty good chance you could catch something in the harbour landbased. If you get there early in the morning (quarter past six) you will be able to pick your spot.

Have a light rod with a tiny ball sinker (00) and a small longshank hook. Grab a bag of prawns from the nearby servo and use them on this rod for bream, cod, etc. Have a heavier rod with 20/30 pound braid and 30 pound leader. A small 1 or 2 ball sinker and a trace of about 70cm with a 4/o circle hook will be ideal. This will be good for livies. I like a baitrunner style reel but a spinning or overhead reel would be fine.

Throw your cast net as close as possible to the rock wall, and work your way out towards deeper water (not too deep though). As well as herring, bony bream, Ponyfish, lancers, flat salmon, and other various bait fish can be caught. Alternate between dropping your bait straight down and casting it, to see where the fish are. Night time is supposedly best in the harbour though I only got to try morning and arvo, as I had to go home for lunch most days.

Cheers Hamish

P.S. If you are not keen on walking down the rocks to land a fish I would recommend you buy a dilly to lower down and land your fish. It can get windy so make sure you set up your gear so it doesn’t blow away.