Polycraft boats why didn’t they take off?

Hweebe

Saw a very clean and nicely setup Polycraft 5.9 Frontier centre cab on the road today.

Got me thinking why didn’t this hull material take off? Arguable best of both worlds between fibre and aluminium?

Is it because it’s a compromise or because mods are difficult on a plastic boat? Maybe just the stigma of a plastic boat being “inferior” hull material? 

Thoughts?

25 minutes ago, Angry51 said:

I think they're pretty heavy compared to alum/ glass

aren't they. But, yeah the made from plastic puts me off.

I looked up the Frontier 5.9. 900kg hull only but i thought this weight was supposed to be a positive compared to lighter pressed aluminium to give a more comfortable ride.

GT Buster used to run a polycraft and flogged it so they are a good hull.

See a few about but I think the manufacturing process might have a bit to do with it.

Lot of people can weld Ali but not many would have the plastic skills or money/room for a rotomoulder.

Also every time you want to do something custom you need a new mould which are expensive. 

A mate of mine has one, a 4.9 Brumby I think?, it’s alright, does the job, a little truck really, 

As far as not really taking off, the only poly boats I know of are Smartwave & Polycraft, compare that to the numerous manufacturers of pressed ally, and even more in glass, the market would be fairly well sewn up, even though they can cop a good old fashioned hiding, the fact that they’re plastic, and require a bigger motor compared to a similar sized ally or glass boat, probably puts a few people off?