Weekend at Boggy Creek

jdollazz

Welcome to the forum, Jack. Good to see a report first up.

You've done well with the plastics for a new starter.

It is unlikely you are catching the same fish. The smaller fish are usually male and congregate in similar sizes together with a single female around this time of year. Keep at it and you will land a bigger one sooner or later. I've seen two bigger models (53 and `60) when I've been fishing near the mouth of Boggy, so you're definitely in with a chance.

Take care around the gills when they are going berserk as they have some nasty spikes that will cut you and hurt for awhile.

Post up the pics of fish you need to get an ID on. Someone here will know.

55 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Welcome to the forum, Jack. Good to see a report first up.

You've done well with the plastics for a new starter.

It is unlikely you are catching the same fish. The smaller fish are usually male and congregate in similar sizes together with a single female around this time of year. Keep at it and you will land a bigger one sooner or later. I've seen two bigger models (53 and `60) when I've been fishing near the mouth of Boggy, so you're definitely in with a chance.

Take care around the gills when they are going berserk as they have some nasty spikes that will cut you and hurt for awhile.

Post up the pics of fish you need to get an ID on. Someone here will know.

thanks Brian, it's only taken me a month to make a post 😂

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I just wasn't too sure as I haven't caught many flathead before but am now leaning towards taking my next legal one home 

This is probably obvious but I'm still just not that confident ID'ing certain fish - i think this is a little Trevally? If it is there tend to be plenty of them around in Boggy on the incoming tide 

image.thumb.jpeg.59581c22a133bf3a7a73c45a5e6f1d05.jpeg

I cant find my other photos right now but if I do I'll post them up later 

hey mate, looks like a small GT to me. just fyi too, for land based youve done well. especially on plastics.

the flathead ive caught at boggy creek landbased have all been small too. that area is great for flathead. if you ever get the chance, a small kayak around that area produces flathead really well

15 hours ago, GregOug said:

Welcome Jack. Nice fish. I think. Can’t be sure though because the guy you borrowed that brag mat from will be a Southsider. He’ll want it back before the next annual North vs South of the river comp begins. All the southsliders have one. Us Northsiders would never stoop to such tactics.

haha fair play mate you got me there, we both are 😂

5 hours ago, christophagus said:

hey mate, looks like a small GT to me. just fyi too, for land based youve done well. especially on plastics.

the flathead ive caught at boggy creek landbased have all been small too. that area is great for flathead. if you ever get the chance, a small kayak around that area produces flathead really well

thanks chris! I've been tempted by the kayaks for some time now - Facebook knows it too, my feed is clogged with fishing kayak ads 😂

i'm lucky enough to have a mate taking me out in his tinny Friday after next so maybe we'll try Boggy again. hopefully I'll have something to report back with!    

On 12/09/2022 at 6:56 PM, jdollazz said:

Firstly, do you guys reckon the flathead in this area can get much bigger than this? 

Second - Is it possible I might be pulling up the same exact flathead?

1) Have fished Boggy creek and you will definitely get some larger specimens with the right tides and being in the right spot.

You will find the just legal size +10cm is the most common size there when targeting flatties

2) Unlikely but possible - Best bet is take as a keeper for a feed 🙂