kingfish rod and reel combo?

djpalmer88

OK, I assume ocean rocks then. I would go for a threadline reel around 8000 size that has a strong drag and a gear ratio of at least 5:1, with 50-60lb braid and a GT style popping rod around the 8-9'' length with a similar line rating. There is a big price range but there is no need to go high end - might be best to get something modestly priced and see if it's your thing. I would need to know your budget to be more specific. 

10 hours ago, bigkingie said:

OK, I assume ocean rocks then. I would go for a threadline reel around 8000 size that has a strong drag and a gear ratio of at least 5:1, with 50-60lb braid and a GT style popping rod around the 8-9'' length with a similar line rating. There is a big price range but there is no need to go high end - might be best to get something modestly priced and see if it's your thing. I would need to know your budget to be more specific. 

That's great thanks for that, really useful. I have done some rock fishing lately (snapper, trev etc.) But my current setup is too light.

Cheers!

What budget do you have for the complete outfit and what size fish are you hoping to target? This is because there is a huge variation in getting a high end setup and a lower spec'ed one. They range from "yes I can afford that,.........  to how many kidneys do I have to sell).

Often a lower spec'ed one will be completely adequate and you won't need to sell your kidneys!😀 So just need to know your price range and what size/species you are targeting.

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

What budget do you have for the complete outfit and what size fish are you hoping to target? This is because there is a huge variation in getting a high end setup and a lower spec'ed one. They range from "yes I can afford that,.........  to how many kidneys do I have to sell).

Often a lower spec'ed one will be completely adequate and you won't need to sell your kidneys!😀 So just need to know your price range and what size/species you are targeting.

He already said he would be targeting kingfish off the rocks. I think it would be safe to assume he would be running into some sizeable ones which will require considerable stopping power. 

Budget is important for a recommendation on specific set ups, but as to size that's a 6 of one, half dozen of another proposition. 

If casting baits then a larger size 6000-8000 size spinning reel on a 10-15kg rod in the longest size that you can handle for extra distance and reach over the rocks. 

But if casting lures then I would go a 4000-5000 size reel and put ultra thin braid on it, as casting for long periods will burn you out with a heavy rig. 

For instance YGK X-Braid Upgrade X8 in 30lb is pe 1.5 diameter, on my Stella 4000 it would hold 300m with a little backing behind it. 

That's plenty room for long fights, if you want heavier then YGK full drag in 45lb is pe 2 diameter and you could still fit over 250m on it. 

I'd probably go a 5000 size myself and put 300m of of the full drag pe 3 60lb on it, it cast beautiful and is really tough. 

But if your live baiting I'd get standard braid and put it on a reel that will hold 300m of 50lb braid with backing on a bait runner type reel. 

Or you could go an overhead combo, but for distance you can't beat a spinning reel unless you get a tricked up one. 

Fights won't be long for kingfish off the rocks. They are very dirty fighters - if you can't stop them then it will be all over. An 8000 size reel will have more drag power. You won't need all the line on a kingfish - though you might if you hook a northern bluefin tuna. Casting distance is not a priority as kingfish are likely to be hooked in close. 

I wouldn't go for a long rod as you will give away too much leverage and won't be able to put much pressure on the fish. 8 - 9" is a good compromise (a GT popper style rod). As kingfish frequent deep water platforms you don't need a long rod - it's like fishing off a wharf. 

On 20/10/2022 at 7:15 AM, djpalmer88 said:

That's great thanks for that, really useful. I have done some rock fishing lately (snapper, trev etc.) But my current setup is too light.

Cheers!

The Pfluger Salt Spin is a good cheapy. I have seen the 080 advertised for $120. it has a simple but rugged design with a very good drag. I got a cheap Gladiator popper rod a one of the Boat Shows, but they don't seem to be available anymore. Daiwa and Shimano sell some heavy popper style rods at around the $300 mark.