Jack Attack

FishingCrazy

3 hours ago, ellicat said:

It's' a very pale jack compared to one's I am familiar with, which are much more red. Is that the normal colouration from your local ?

No, it's the most silver looking one I have caught. Was red on the tail and dorsal fins but very light coloured.

I have seen pictures of similar so it's not uncommon but would be interest to know the reason. 

Maybe it's just come from the clear ocean waters from around the headlands and they get darker the longer they are in discoloured creeks???? Albino lol?? Male or female????  

I don't know but maybe someone on here might know the answer. 

edit.. I just found this info on the web.

"Observing these fish on a daily basis, Tom gave me the heads up on some of the unique characteristics of Mangrove Jack. Some of his observations worth noting are:

Their ability to instantly change colour from silver to red when they are cranky, stressed or feeding.

They are very intelligent, an example of this was when he had quite a large fish that was asserting its dominance over a few smaller fish. The smaller fish took a real dislike to this and ganged up on the larger fish and killed it in a pack mentality style."

Edited by FishingCrazy
extra info

Hi Mylesfisher,

In the snags (rocks and trees) rigged weedless I let it sink till it stops then slow roll gently, if it snags don't pull hard as you may set the hook into the snag. Let the pressure off and slowly lift hopefully over/through the snag. Slow roll around bridges as well.

I have caught a few jacks in the open around weed beds in the shallows just on dark when they come right out of their snaggy homes hunting in the cover of darkness. I use the same slow roll along the gaps in the ribbon weed then hop it down the deeper drop offs letting it hit the bottom them 2 jerks up, hit the bottom again and rinse and repeat like I use to do with conditioner when I had hair. lol😁

I don't do much "open area" fishing for them though as that's not where they live and hunt most of the time.

Late arvo's have been better, for me anyway, over early mornings. Those stinking hot afternoons in summer with a big thunderstorm on its way seems to fire them right up.

Lots of time on the water, they say the hardest jack to catch is your first one and the second hardest after that is the first one of a new season.

Good luck and hope this helps.