what reel for my rod?

gsxr

I would be buying something of higher quality second hand.

You have the size right, but not the quality if you are chasing jew.

There are quite a few 2nd hand shops that carry good amounts of fishing gear.

Beside Tackleland at Sandgate there is one that only handles fishing gear and it is well priced.

My last visit there i bought a Stradic 5000 FH for 120 loaded with good braid.

I have the same rod you have. Bought it on special.

At the moment I am using a 5000 Kastking 3 with 15lb mono. While Kastkings are budget reels, I have three of them never had a problem. Not into Daiwa or Shimano reels. They are not as good as they use to be. ( IMO ) If you want to spend money the latest Penn range of reels are great.

Good for catching tailor off the beach

Cheers.

The main reason I don't buy $100 reels, or even $200 reels is they feel gritty, are unbalanced and the drags are seldom smooth or long lasting.

The reels also don't last that long with constant use, the bearings rust up and the reels start to corrode.

I'd rather spend $200 on a 2nd hand reel that retails around $300 to end up with something that will last better. Depending on how it's been treated.

That's not to say it won't work or do a decent job, just don't expect it to last.

I'd fork out a bit more and get a 2nd hand Shimano bait runner D or equivalent.

With the prices ATM I'm looking at getting a couple of Shimano Thunnus reels for live baiting as they are at baitrunner prices ATM. With a little care they will be with me for years to come.

I have three Okuma Ceymar reels. Never had a problem with them. Bought them for under $100 each at a sale. Came with a 10 year warranty.

Reels are like cars, if you service them you will never have a problem.

I have a Toyota hiace van, 10 years old. It has done 560,000 k's. I take it everywhere fishing, never misses a beat. I do the servicing.

Cheers.

Have a look at this Penn Liveliner model, on special till the 31st Dec 23 for $139.99 including delivery. This one is has a manual bail arm trip and the Liveliner feature which is good for letting fish run with the bait before striking. They are also water resistant which is good for surf areas.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292810550338

P.S. The on special date has been extended to the end of Dec, so I updated the date above in case anyone was interested.